Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   350 with odd casting number... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/350-odd-casting-number-226183.html)

HEAVYChevy915_1.00 11-17-2012 12:53 AM

350 with odd casting number...

Hi all, my engine is confirmed 350. The back side casting code says it's a 350 but the front passenger side head casting number can't be seen. I'll I see is the number "22." I know that crate engines don't usually have the casting code so I'm thinking its a crate? I was told when I first bought it that it was either a 71 or 77 (can't remember the year he said) corvette engine. I think it's a 71 because he also had a 71 stingray at the time an I think he put that stock engine in the elky. Any ideas? If u need pics to maybe help just say so. Please and thanks guys.

68NovaSS 11-17-2012 01:49 AM

Are you talking about a number cast into the head or the numbers stamped on the pad in front of the head, on the block?

HEAVYChevy915_1.00 11-17-2012 04:01 AM

The number I'm referring to is the one stamped into the pad on the front of the block. The number that would indicate the factory, year, original vehicle and all that.

cdminter59 11-17-2012 05:01 AM

350 with odd casting number...

Maybe the block has been decked which is why you can't see the numbers. Is the motor out of the vehicle so you can get a good look? Crate motors have numbers stamped on the front of the block usually starting with the letters CE.

F-BIRD'88 11-17-2012 06:03 AM

remove a valve cover to read the head casting number.

cobalt327 11-17-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEAVYChevy915_1.00 (Post 1612193)
Hi all, my engine is confirmed 350. The back side casting code says it's a 350 but the front passenger side head casting number can't be seen. I'll I see is the number "22." I know that crate engines don't usually have the casting code so I'm thinking its a crate? I was told when I first bought it that it was either a 71 or 77 (can't remember the year he said) corvette engine. I think it's a 71 because he also had a 71 stingray at the time an I think he put that stock engine in the elky. Any ideas? If u need pics to maybe help just say so. Please and thanks guys.

Use the casting numbers and date code. If there is no suffix code, it was removed during block decking or was never there in the first place (OTC block or possibly a replacement engine).

HEAVYChevy915_1.00 11-17-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 (Post 1612216)
remove a valve cover to read the head casting number.

If I did that would it give me the head numbers only or block too? I know the heads are double hump. The engine code is a faded 22 unless maybe there's some other place on the block that has the code?

cobalt327 11-17-2012 05:59 PM

Dude, follow the link in my last post above- everything you need to know is laid out for you. And no- the block casting number cannot be found on the cylinder head.:rolleyes:

HEAVYChevy915_1.00 11-17-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1612461)
Dude, follow the link in my last post above- everything you need to know is laid out for you. And no- the block casting number cannot be found on the cylinder head.:rolleyes:

I know where to find the casting number but te block number is non existent. Atleast from what I can see (or can't lol) it's a pain because I don't have my garage renovations done yet so I can't pull the engine and just replace it with a 427 or 454 that I know everything about. If anyone has any suggestions for a 65 elky please let me know.

cobalt327 11-17-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEAVYChevy915_1.00 (Post 1612504)
I know where to find the casting number but te block number is non existent. Atleast from what I can see (or can't lol) it's a pain because I don't have my garage renovations done yet so I can't pull the engine and just replace it with a 427 or 454 that I know everything about. If anyone has any suggestions for a 65 elky please let me know.

I fail to see what the suffix code will tell you that is of any real value. Things like what foundry cast it, and the assembly month and day, and what vehicle the engine was installed in originally means basically nothing in the greater scheme of things.

What you want to know AFA for buying parts, etc. is the displacement and when the block was cast- and even the date isn't important if you can tell if the crank is a large or small journal, if it has a 1 or 2 piece rear main seal, and whether it is equipped to use a factory hydraulic cam.

HEAVYChevy915_1.00 11-17-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1612531)
I fail to see what the suffix code will tell you that is of any real value. Things like what foundry cast it, and the assembly month and day, and what vehicle the engine was installed in originally means basically nothing in the greater scheme of things.

What you want to know AFA for buying parts, etc. is the displacement and when the block was cast- and even the date isn't important if you can tell if the crank is a large or small journal, if it has a 1 or 2 piece rear main seal, and whether it is equipped to use a factory hydraulic cam.

It's displacement is 358, a 4 bolt main with a .480 lift cam and the casting number is still visible so I'll post those numbers soon. I really appreciate everyone's help, almost nobody I know knows about cars so extra advice is appreciated. Here is a pic of the flyer from when I bought it and the guy had no idea what was going on because he bought it and never started working on it himself. http://m.facebook.com/HESSEIV#!/phot...ser=1483773915