350 in place of a 305 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 10:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 in place of a 305

I have a '91 Sierra 1500 with a tired 305 and a 5-speed manual. I'd like to replace the 305 with a 350 for more power but need some guidance. It's a daily driver so mileage is also a bit of a consideration. First, which 350 should I order? Next, which EFI should I use? Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 AM

The GM Goodwrench or GM Performance Parts sites show which engine to use as a replacement for your vehicle. However, if you want to reuse the stock fuel injection you will need additional parts to adjust for the switch from a 305 to a 350. Which stock fuel injection do you have (I don't recall exactly when GM switched from TBI in the trucks), or do you plan to use an aftermarket setup? Many of the aftermarket EFI setups (Edelbrock, Holley, etc.) are more expensive than the replacement engine will be.

I checked Pace Performance and they had the direct replacement 305 for $1650 and the 350 for $1950. Local GM dealers sell the same engine, and they may meet the price. I got one from a Peterbilt dealer, since they were an authorized GM reseller. These are new engines and they come with a 3 yr/100k GM warranty. You could probably get a rebuilt engine locally for quite a bit less, but quality will depend on the rebuilder.

Bruce
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
I have a '91 Sierra 1500 with a tired 305 and a 5-speed manual. I'd like to replace the 305 with a 350 for more power but need some guidance. It's a daily driver so mileage is also a bit of a consideration. First, which 350 should I order? Next, which EFI should I use? Thanks.
You will need to change the chip in the computer for a 350 with manual gear box. The program in the 305 chip which controls the on-off time of the injectors (yes the 2 injectors of the TBI do sequence) this controls the amount of fuel delivered to the engine since pressure is maintained at a steady amount sequencing the injector time on against time off is the only way to meter fuel against the engine's immediate need. The 350 is 45 cubic inches or 15 percent larger in size so the injectors will need to be turned on 15 perccent longer to get the added fuel required by the larger displacement. This is an over-simplification of what's going on but it is basically correct.

The 350 will in fact start and run on the stock 305 computer farily well but it will have a lean mixture in most operating zones which will result in surging and bucking and expose the engine to the risk of detonation and excessive heating of the exhaust valves. Another way to get more fuel in is to replace the TBI's non-adjustable fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable replacement. This works pretty well in a somewhat sloppy way, if you have to pass emissions this would not do it for you.

An alternative is to have custom chip made which may be the easier solution with the 5 speed since most 350s sat in front of an automatic. See this guy for chip <<< TBI CHIPS >>>.

Bogie

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.