350 problems!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Back Yard Junky :)

Last photo:
Location: Around the Corner from the middle of nowhere... Arden Ontario
Wiki Edits: 0

350 problems!!!

Hi. I have a 1985 350 4 bolt my brother done work to a while ago when it was his... I recently picked it up for cheap and threw it in my truck. It ran allright for about a month and then the past week its been chugging and spitting and sputtering. I noticed there was a tug boat noise coming from under the hood so i checked it out and found that the corner of the head gasket was leaking... Im not sure if the head is warped or what but I grabbed a set gaskets and figured I would do an overhaul on it... Come to find out that my brain dead brother thought it would be a good idea to set the valves on it.... not knowing you just cant tighten them down and away you go.... so my push rods are bent the rockers are almost worn threw and the lifters are toast.... I dont know how it even ran! My question is... Would the cam be allright in it..... or should I replace it aswell... and if I replace it how much lope can I get for a stock set of heads.... for some reason my brother said the heads are off of a 305.... i havent run the numbers yet. Could I run a higher loped cam with them? or should i find a set of junk yard heads off a 350? Id rather try to get away with the 305 heads but if nothing will work better with them then there going in the lake..... anyways im really hope I have put enough info down for yous..

Thanks alot in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 PM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

The cam might have survived, but since you need the lifters buy a cam kit you almost get the cam for free.

Need to figure out which block/heads you have before you choose a cam. Get us the casting numbers and engine code, and the casting number for the heads.

These days you can buy new or rebuilt heads as cheap as you can service your head (unless it just needs milling because of warpage, causing the gasket to leak). If it was me and I was buying heads I'd look for a deal on aluminum heads, plenty of good choices there and the price difference is relatively small.

After you figure out your engine set up, we can help with ideas for a cam kit. Keep in mind that the high lift cams would require different springs, and they have to be set up for your specific cam. There are plenty of truck/RV cam kits that could use the stock springs. If your buying new assembled heads, you can order them assembled with the correct springs for your new cam (at extra cost).
Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

The cam could very well be toast. If there was that much wear going on then there are probably a lot of metal shavings in the engine. You should also check for piston to valve contact.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Ok I got it tore down. Heads numbers are A3 78 (378450) and A4 78 (378450) and the Block Id is 4088458. I havent drained the oil yet so im not sure if there are shavings yet so. Im sure im just going to change the cam shaft just to be safe. The way my luck has been latly ill have to change the cam the next day after I put it all back together.

Thanks for the replies it is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Are those block numbers off the rear of the block? It doesn't look like there are enough numbers if it's an '86 - '94 350, or you have them wrong maybe, I can't find them on any sites I use. I find a 14088548 block, check your numbers.

On the heads, same thing, I don't find any heads starting with 378 with only six digits, and later heads have seven, and the only ones I find are early 327's. Your numbers are from under the valve covers?

I looked here and here . Maybe someone else has better reference tools than I do.

Also, the term "higher loped cam", I assume you mean more overlap and a tighter lsa to make the sounds you want, not for power?

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM

Last photo:

Yes. those are the only numbers on the heads. they are 378450 i just double checked and yess the block number is 14088548 i had to make my head smaller to squeeze into the firewall to get the 1 lol the only other number on the heads are GM 41 and GM 11 i dont know if that will help or not. Ill go back out and try to find another number but i looked them over very well and couldnt find anything else. thanks for the reply
Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

ok i found 2 more numbers number 1 is (19) and number 2 is (450) they were on the intake and exhaust runners. I dont know if that will help but those are the only other numbers on the heads. I was also just checking the Mortec numbers and it has to be 376450 because I was told they were 305 heads and it is the only one that is very very close to the numbers. theres alot of slag and stuff on the numbers so maybe im miss reading them. If they are 376450 it says there 60cc chambered heads are these heads allright to run on the 350 ?

Last edited by 400smb_s10; 02-22-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

They're pretty restrictive, if your pistons are flat tops with valve reliefs, giving 6 cc's, stock bore, I make your static c.r. about 9.98 with a .041 gasket. If they're dished, and you can determine the dish volume, it could be lower.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 AM

Last photo:

there flat tops with valve reliefs in them. Would porting the heads in my shop help them out a little or would it just be a waste of my time? Any suggestions on a cam that I could put in it that would give it a little bite?

Last edited by 400smb_s10; 02-22-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400smb_s10
there flat tops with valve reliefs in them. Would porting the heads in my shop help them out a little or would it just be a waste of my time? Any suggestions on a cam that I could put in it that would give it a little bite?
you would probably be better off picking up a better set of heads. Used vortecs are fairly cheap and they flow real good. You will have to get a different intake however. In stock form they are only good for about 460 to 470 lift. With a spring kit they will go to 550

Chet

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.