Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 350 Pushrod length
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane.,herold View Post
I am going to take it to the machinist to look at. Im thinkin the head bosses need to be cut about .0350. And the rockers are Harland Sharp, a very high quality company, not summit. The cam is from summit, and since there are only a few places in the country that grind cams it really doesnt matter what brand they are, pick the one you want, and thats what i did. I have had excellent luck with all summit products because they are usually name brand stuff with a differnt label on them and a hell of a better price.
If the machinist was shooting to get the tops of the studs equal to where they were stock, that could account for the lack of clearance. This is because the studs have a rather generous radius between the stud and hex for strength (arrow below, ARP stud). If they made the studs at a sharp 90 degree angle there, the studs would be MUCH more likely to crack/break at the juncture of the stud and hex. Dart studs have probably the least amount of radius.

If you're using 3/8" studs/rockers, this might be a good time to consider going to 7/16".

I don't know who grinds the cams for Summit, but they have a decent reputation.

Last edited by cobalt327; 01-31-2013 at 03:21 PM.