350 rebuilt to 383 question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2006, 02:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 rebuilt to 383 question

I recently had my 1978 chev 350 rebuilt to a 383 stroker after some 390,000 original miles. I don't know much about engines, so I wanted to get opinions about my build. The guy wrote down what he did, but I don't know what it really means. Maybe someone could shed some light onto what I received.

350 trans rebuilt with shift kit and clutch packs

Scat Crank
I beam Rods ARPed
Forged Stroker
Pistons Perfect Circle
Rings R/V Cam Double
Roller Chain & Gears
High Volume Oil pump
Headman Headers

Reused - original intake and carburetor

Exhaust - 2.5" to a crossover than straight back through double flow-master mufflers and straight back to rearend.

Would I feel a larger difference with the engine if I changed my rear end gearing? This is on a '78 C-10 heavy half, I don't know what I have in the rear end at this time, but it is factory stock.

Thank you for any insight anyone might have.

Josh

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

crank stroke changed

The stock 350 is a 3.48 crank stroke. He changed it out with a 400 chevy crank which had a 3.75" stroke.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:48 AM
T buckets rule

If I read the post right you are running stock manifolds, both intake and exhaust? A set of headers and a performance intake and carb could do wonders for that truck.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:38 AM

Yes, I am running headers, but not a performance carb and intake. Do you think I would definetely feel it if I got a performance carb?

Some other things I forgot to mention about the motor. I will try to explain as best as I can because this is from memory.

The engine guy said he put z or zz springs in the heads rather than stock springs as well as he said he was using flat top pistons, he said he used those pistons because when he pulled the engine apart, he was amazed to see that it had flat top pistons already. I think he said that it was very unusual, but that it might have something to do with my truck being a heavy half. He also said that the flat top piston would give me more of a performance engine than going the other way.

This all brings me to, my latest problem. So he put the original starter back in the truck. After about 3 days of being clean and like new, I don't think the starter could take it - so it crapped out. Fine I can understand that. So he put in a new starter, only to tell me afterwards that the starter wasn't warranteed on a vehicle with headers. I quickly found out why, last week my 3 week old starter bit the dust. So now he is putting in a gear reduction starter. I hope this one doesn't fry, I will be so pissed if it does. I might sell the dang truck.

Anyways - if anyone can give me a recommendation for an intake and carburator setup. I want something that is reliable, because this is my daily driver. But I also want something with performance. So any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Edie Performer and 750 carb will do the trick. Go to a 650 carb if you drive it daily and need the throttle response.

Cheap, good quality, makes power, easy to bolt on.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

You shouldn't be burning out starters. I had a mild 350 in my '80 half ton with headers for years and never burnt one up. Now it has a 454 in it with headers and still no problem. make sure it's shimmed right. If it whines or makes any type of unusual sound I'd question the installation.

kinda curious as to why he sold you such an expensive bottom end when your running a stock (pretty much) top end.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:03 PM
mini me

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6426yy
You shouldn't be burning out starters. I had a mild 350 in my '80 half ton with headers for years and never burnt one up. Now it has a 454 in it with headers and still no problem. make sure it's shimmed right. If it whines or makes any type of unusual sound I'd question the installation.

kinda curious as to why he sold you such an expensive bottom end when your running a stock (pretty much) top end.
thats what i was starting to wonder

by the way, ditch that hv oil pump

J
Old 02-28-2006, 04:09 PM

oil pump

What would be the benefit of ditching the hv oil pump? As for the other stuff, I told him that I wanted to upgrade the intake and carb at a later date, not yet.

He said that autozone would not warranty the starter if it was installed with headers, without headers it had a 1 year warranty and no warranty with headers. This is on a brand new starter, not a rebuilt.

So, as far as engines go, did I do ok? I am not interested in a high performance engine, just something with some get up and go for daily driving. After I get a new intake and carb, would I see any benefit from changing the gearing in the rear end?

Thanks for all the comments, I really apprecaite them.

Josh
Old 02-28-2006, 05:06 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

richard stewart 3rd

Hi Josh,
I think you should check the ratio first, jack up the truck so both rear wheels are off the ground, (use chocks & jackstands) get under the truck & put a chalk mark on the drive shaft & a corresponding mark on the rear housing, now rotate the wheel one full revolution & count how many revolutions the driveshaft makes, then do the math, it's not exact but close enough to see if a gear change is warranted. Next thing put a heat shield on the starter, on mine I also put a Ford solenoid on the fender, I did this to help avoid any problems, so-far I have not had any. The other thing I would do is EFI, just because it's your daily driver.
Take care have a good time & be safe,
Rich
Old 02-28-2006, 05:18 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

richard stewart 3rd

Josh,
I forgot, Chevy has one of the best oiling system in stock form, the addition of a high volume pump can cause a bunch of problems, oil pump starvation, it pumped all the oil out of the pan, this is just one example. the engine is a little over kill but all in all I think ya did ok.
be safe,
Rich
Old 02-28-2006, 05:30 PM

Please explain

You said a little overkill. Please explain. See I know the difference between gold and silver, but I don't know the difference between say good engine parts and bad engine parts or upgraded engine parts.

Explain it to me like i'm a 5 year old, because I would really like to know what I have.

Josh
Old 02-28-2006, 06:14 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Josh, I have done business with Auto Zone for years and have never been told they would not warranty starters on an engine with headers. I did have problems with an Auto Zone gear reduction starter with my 383, but it was a problem with the starter not being manufactured close enough to specs and they even gave me my money back when I told them I was on the road and had to buy another one that worked ok. (Half truth or half lie, I guess, since the replacement was a special order from Power Master because I was tired of changing starters). You may want to ask the engine builder what the compression is on the motor. If it is above 10 to 1, an off the shelf starter probably is not going to last long. They are all built toward the 8 to 1 compression motors that spin easier. The introduction of gear reduction starters have crept in because some motors are now coming out with more respectable compression. I recommend spending the extra bucks for the Power Master starter, but make sure you get the one that will carry your compression. Also, check to see if you have three mounting bolt holes in your block. If so, Power Master offers a starter that uses all three holes and it will handle up to 13 to one compression. You can get it from Summit Racing but you have to ask for it because it is not a catalogue item.

Trees
Old 02-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I used to work for Autozone and I can tell you that is BS about not allowing a warranty on starters on engines with headers. If you have more trouble, the name of the district manager should be posted on a piece of paper near the entrance or exit of the store along with a contact number.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:33 PM

Josh,

I'm new to the board, but I am an Auto Technician and I personally deal with Auto Zone on a daily basis and if someone form Auto Zone is telling you that Auto Zone will not warranty a starter due to headers, then they are trying to get out of doing the warranty paper work and I would advise you to contact the district manager
Old 02-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
Josh,
I forgot, Chevy has one of the best oiling system in stock form, the addition of a high volume pump can cause a bunch of problems, oil pump starvation, it pumped all the oil out of the pan, this is just one example. the engine is a little over kill but all in all I think ya did ok.
be safe,
Rich

Thats a new one on me! Im aware that the sbc has a very good oiling system. But a high volume pump causing problems I don't believe that. Now a high pressure pump can suck your stock pan dry. But high volume? Ive run high volume pumps for years with 0 problems.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.