350 Sbc - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Soooooooo.....if you win a bid for a pair of heads say for $150 bucks then you have to pay $60 bucks for shipping, that $210 bucks will break your budget? If so, son, you don't have a budget. Screw the motor back together stock and save up your pennies.

i agree, avage shipping cost for a set of heads is around 60, i think i paid 58 for the last set of heads i had shipped. "you gotta pay to play" trust me we all understand budget, but if you thought that you could get away will finding a decent set of performance heads (stock or aftermarket) for less than about 300.00 then you were mistaken, and even a 300.00 this is still quite a low number for heads even on a budget build. if you can't spend this i wouldn't recomend that you do as cool rockin daddy mentioned with just putting everything together i would recomend spending some more time saving your money so that you wont end up disapointed once you are done

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

I've got a set of heads that are about what he's looking for and was thinking of trading them or donating them to the lawsuit auction if I didin't have to pay for the shipping to boot. Anyone know if there is still an auction for the lawsuit deal? Duntov

And by the way, On the home page Jon says StreetBeast has sued him. I think Streetbeast has attacked us all. They're on my list one or two down from Ralph Nader Duntov
Old 06-11-2010, 01:39 PM

whats the deal with the lawsuit? and no 300 bucks won't won't bust the budget but will i know what i'm really getting? thanks for the help dun..... gotta find something soon -really tired of a truck scattered out in a 1500sq ft shop, also got 21 ft baja boat waiting for an engine swap in there....its time to get one of them out! all this on a single mans income with a house he just bought 4 months ago.... so work with me here guys and cut me a little slack, just looking for the best bang for a my buck....thanks
Old 06-11-2010, 01:51 PM

here, i think these are probably the heads that cool rockin daddy was talking about, i wouldn't bid more than 175.00 for them though as they will still need machine work of around 150-200.00 + the 60.00 s/h would put you at round $410.00 this, and 400 bucks is what you can expect to pay for a set of freshly rebuilt double humps around where i live.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:47 PM

i found some heads on ebay and actually bid on some aluminum heads but probably won't win...they were corvette heads and are bolt on ready... winning with 152.50 bid right now, max bid of 175 with 24 hrs left...anyone with 350 heads with 1.94/1.5 valves can contact me at meadowstj80@yahoo
Old 06-11-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowstj80
i found some heads on ebay and actually bid on some aluminum heads but probably won't win...they were corvette heads and are bolt on ready... winning with 152.50 bid right now, max bid of 175 with 24 hrs left...anyone with 350 heads with 1.94/1.5 valves can contact me at meadowstj80@yahoo

which corvette head?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:08 PM

Reverse Flow???

Hey 87Z, Are there any factory aluminum corvette heads with desirable casting numbers? Our local core supply guy has loads of them and half the ones I dug out were (reverse flow)<<< I know Bad Medicine...

But MORTEC doesn't offer very much info on the factory aluminum numbers, and I haven't found any reliable info anywhere else.

We had several cases of mid-Nineties Trans-Ams, and Corvettes call with overheating nightmares for a while and then it all stopped. I avoided those things ever since. Maybe I missed some good heads because of it. Core guy never seems to know the details; he just wants to sell 'um. Duntov
Old 06-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Show me the money !

Last photo:

Aren't there any salvage yards or head exchange shops around there? Last time I went to get a set of 350 heads, I got me a nice fresh set for 140.00 Now that I think about it, It was about 5 years ago. Engine rebuilders usually have some stuff hangin around too.. I don't like ebay.. rather see what i"m getting. Keep searchin- it's half the fun
Old 06-11-2010, 09:55 PM

Reverse Flow???

I want to retract my NO NO smiley temporarily anyway. I've been Google-ing and reading constantly since I posted that, and everything I find about reverse cooling is all good stuff. It's amazing how much a person can miss while deliberately avoiding a given subject for a decade... I don't even know if it's possible to use those heads on a Gen I or II block .

I'm sure some of you guys do.. I think I learn things on this message board that take days of research on my own. I'm glad I signed up Duntov
Old 06-12-2010, 09:42 PM

the reverse coolant flow heads can only be used on the generation II sbc the LT, so that puts them in a very limited catagory. to find a decent corvette head (IMHO) you will have to go back to the late 60's heads. here are the heads that you would want:

461,462,291,292,186,187,041,414 the 487 heads aren't bad either, but the 041 heads are the most saught after due to the accessory holes. and with the 487 heads you have to make sure that they are actually just the 487 heads and not the 487X heads.

corvette heads to stay away from are the 487X, 881,882,545,450, and 624 these were all produced in the 70's at the start of all the emissions crap.

any corvette head after the late 60's/very early 70's being much of any good, i have seen people running the L98 corvette heads from the 80's TPI motor but from what i have read and seen they will need some extensive valve, bowl and port work in order to flow much of a decent number
Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 AM

Heads

Hey 87Z,
I think I have all of those heads on the shelf except for the 487X. I've been keeping an eye out for the 487x head for about 5 years. Told my Core Guy I wanted some and he dug out all he had and left a message to come get 'um. I didn't find the message for two or three months and when I showed up over there he couldn't find them. I want some that have never been milled to lower compression and still breath.

Wish I could find a decent aftermarket head with a big chamber. They just must not be marketable at all. I think the distributors must see the market as mostly people who think power is all about compression. I believe most aftermarket heads are bought for the street, and the way I see it a typical 64cc head limits my piston selection somewhat when trying to run pump gas without aggravations. I wouldn't care for a 12 or 13 to one car taking up space in my garage like a trophy, because it's impractical to register and insure it.

I got off subject a bit sorry......What I want to confirm is whether MORTECs listing is correct in re 487x? They for years had the head listed as 80cc. That's why I was looking for 'um. Now everywhere I look people are saying they are 74 or 76cc. Anyone confirm? Went to Mortec to check it out and the're down, and have been for a week or more. What's the deal on that? Duntov.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:32 PM

well the 487X is the heads that the corvette's and all the 350HO cars were using in 72' and although the compression drops started in 71' the major power drop was in 72'. i think the only way you will actually find out the true cc of the 487X chamber is to get a pair and cc them for your self, i would definatly say that they are likely 76cc but i'm not sure about 80cc. but to get a machine shop to open up the chambers is one of the easiest/ cheapest machine work you can have done to a set of heads
Old 06-13-2010, 02:49 PM
More for Less Racer

Nothing actually wrong with the 487X head, it is a larger intake runner version of the 487 head. Neither are great heads, just the better flowing stock port of the early smogger 70's open chamber heads. Nothing to go looking for IMO and not worth the cost of rebuilding. RHS, Dart or EngineQuest SR/Torquer type head is a much smarter move all the way around.

Chamber cc can vary on any Factory head, usually 1-3 cc bigger than the factory claims. I have yet to find a stock head that I have cc'd actually be what was listed. There might be some that are but I have yet to find one.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Nothing actually wrong with the 487X head, it is a larger intake runner version of the 487 head. Neither are great heads, just the better flowing stock port of the early smogger 70's open chamber heads. Nothing to go looking for IMO and not worth the cost of rebuilding. RHS, Dart or EngineQuest SR/Torquer type head is a much smarter move all the way around.
Chamber cc can vary on any Factory head, usually 1-3 cc bigger than the factory claims. I have yet to find a stock head that I have cc'd actually be what was listed. There might be some that are but I have yet to find one.

i totally agree with this, by the time you get all the work done to the heads you've spent about 500-700.00 bucks on them and they still dont performe as well as either of the heads you mentioned, i would rather spend the extra 200-400.00 on the aftermarket heads. but then of coarse i dont belive in putting a set of heads on a motor right out of the box. so i have always ended up with another 300-700 into the heads before i put them onto the engine
Old 06-14-2010, 02:57 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowstj80
I have a 350 thats in a 86 K5 Blazer that i am rebuiding, it is not bored and is a 4 bolt main. It has a edelbrock performer intake and 600 carb, the heads were off a 400 small block with 76cc chambers and 1.94/1.50 valves and need extensive repair. I am considering a head change and have my option of '85 305 heads with 1.86/1.5 valves - 58cc chambers and 84 350 heads with 66cc chambers and 1.94/1.5 valves. Just wondering which would be better for my 4wd blazer, i am also adding a mild cam,headers and msd ignition. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
As long as the cam lift is .450-.470" or so, use a set of Vortec heads w/an eBay intake that fits them. You can use more lift than that if you do some easy, cheap mods to the retainers along w/a set of 0.050" locks and a few shims. Either way, a cheap set of "Z-28/LT-1" springs (like $30/set) should be used to replace the weak OEM springs.

Throw a set of headers on it along w/a true dual exhaust w/an H or X connection between the two sides and you will see upwards of 60-plus HP over the smog heads. The 4WD jazz does present problems plumbing the header on one side.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.