350 sbc - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vberg View Post
Silver Surfer,
I'm 99% sure the motor is completely factory...the tranny is a 350 (think it needs to be rebuilt cause it shifts soft but that could just be how they are)...I just put an Edlebrock Performer RPM on a 400 sbc I built for my car...I do believe you are right about the quadrajet and I've rebuilt a couple carbs before so as long as its a reasonably simple to do I'd be tempted but I've heard people say just to send them out to a pro but I'm not sure why...I'm probably going to talk to my friend about doing top end work because we all enjoy motor work the only problem is I don't know what he wants to spend but I didn't think about new heads but that sounds like a good idea to do a cam with new heads and intake...I know for sure you are right about the oil. Does it make that much of a difference?
Thanks for the input I greatly appreciate it!
QJet is frowned upon by most hotrodders. I think there are two factors:
1) It is a factory carb. Most people assume that aftermarket offerings are always better.
2) The QJet is finicky and harder to tune, but once you get it right it will outperform other carbs. The problem is, most people don't want to deal with the learning curve. They would rather bolt on a moderate performing Holley or Edlebrock and get decent performance for no work.

One an old factory cam (slow ramp rate, low lift, and light springs) and the fact that this one is so old and well seasoned and spent most of its life with old school oil that had lots of moly in it, it is probably fine. But as of the late 90's oils started changing and moly was reduced. I am sure the cam and lifters have plenty of wear on them, probably not anything out of the ordinary, but not new and certainly not helping performance. Maybe your buddy used synthetic oil too? Everything I read said flat tappets and synthetic oils do not mix.

And yes I agree with PatM, the rear end ratio should be examined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Surfer For This Useful Post:
Vberg (08-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 PM

I figured we needed to open up the rear to change the oil anyway so I'll find out what the ratio is. I'd really like to see the qjet tuned right because I've heard negative and positive about it but I'm leaning towards going with it. Hopefully I can get this guy to do heads and a cam! Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vberg View Post
I figured we needed to open up the rear to change the oil anyway so I'll find out what the ratio is. I'd really like to see the qjet tuned right because I've heard negative and positive about it but I'm leaning towards going with it. Hopefully I can get this guy to do heads and a cam! Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Order Cliff Ruggles Q-Jet book, it will walk you thru rebuilds, and performance modifications.

For performance, gearing needs to be in the 3.08 to 3.42 for a street cruiser, 3.55 to 3.91 up for a street/strip type terror, 4.10 and up for a dedicated race car.

You dont need racing gas to run nitrous, you local pump premium will work just fine. (Ive been using nitrous for 30 years, its not the big bad bomb people try to make it out to be) Engine damage occurs when people dont follow the directions, or beat on a worn out motor.

You should look for a kit that is for his type of set up(q-jet), the only thing that is usable from the EFI kit is the tank, hose, and maybe the solonoids(if it has a fuel and nitrous solonoid)

Check summit for a price on just the Q-jet nitrous plate.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.