350 SBC build for Jeep. Need Help !!! Intake, carb, cam, efi and mileage. - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Lift around .450" or a little less will be fine on stock heads, you'll still need to replace the springs though. I wouldn't use a Edelbrock cam on a dare, there's nothing great about them except their marketing. HEADERS DO NOT MAKE IT LOUD, they won't change the noise level any appreciable amount. If you have a free flowing exhaust a 108-110 LSA would be ideal, if its choked up a 110-112 usually works better. A stock intake will work, but a USED performer or performer RPM from Edelbrock would be best, they can be had for about $50-$70 here in the states, not sure what it is over there.

If you're buying a carb I would consider a offroad type carb, something in the 500-600cfm range, 4bbl with manual choke and vacuum secondaries. the manual choke is because of high water, if you don't have to worry about running through really high water an electric choke is easier to use.
Thank's again for your input
I myself am a Holley kind of guy, and know how to modify them for the usage of the truck. so they can tolerate angle's and so on. But then again i'm also open for any carburetor if that goes so.
Anyhow the last Jeep I worked on had long tube fender well header's and If i chose to run these thing's then i have to run side pipe exhaust, at least make the turn down before the rear wheel, and maybe on the last Jeep I had so crappy muffler's because that Jeep was loud as hell. and for this time I really would like to have it quiet and get the exhaust all the way back.
I will try to find one of these intake's
But what's your opinion about these GM Q-Jet Aluminum Intake's ? Think they're from C3 Corvettes or so.

Does anyone know the stock camshaft spec's from a truck engine like I have ?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 12:43 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

the cam just recommended via the Summit link would be about perfect, provided you run a set of headers and 2 1/4" pipes into a single 3". That'll be an easy exhaust setup and only need one good muffler instead of two cheap ones.

A quadrajet is not the HOLY GRAIL of carbs as some proclaim them to be. They work well, but a well tuned Holley with a decent intake manifold can do just as well and is easier to tune/modify/replace. a lot of people screw up their 600's so they get a bad rap, but they're not a bad carb, for that matter neither is an Edelbrock. Holleys are just the cheapest to work on that I know of, and cheapest to buy used. Edelbrocks are the cheapest new I believe.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

That's grate input from Mr. ap72.
Hate to change subject but. since i'm no wizard in the matter of camshaft's If Icejeep is determined on running exhaust manifold's since he's got clearance issues if running fenderwell's would you recommend similar camshaft that i recommended but just grounded on wider LSA ?

And mainly would he gain anything running the Performer RPM over the Std. Performer, since this is only a "low" rpm build...

Monzter.
Alway's learning something new
Thank's to www.hotrodders.com
Old 03-30-2010, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
the cam just recommended via the Summit link would be about perfect, provided you run a set of headers and 2 1/4" pipes into a single 3". That'll be an easy exhaust setup and only need one good muffler instead of two cheap ones.

A quadrajet is not the HOLY GRAIL of carbs as some proclaim them to be. They work well, but a well tuned Holley with a decent intake manifold can do just as well and is easier to tune/modify/replace. a lot of people screw up their 600's so they get a bad rap, but they're not a bad carb, for that matter neither is an Edelbrock. Holleys are just the cheapest to work on that I know of, and cheapest to buy used. Edelbrocks are the cheapest new I believe.
What are we talking about begin well tuned ?
In term's of tuning the engine by vacuum gauge, what would show that I had an engine that would be well tuned and in good condition ?
Would 20 In/hg be possible with mildly built 350 ? at idle of-course !

Best regards.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:02 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

20 inches at idle probably means you have your idle set too high. 15" or so is plenty, most shoot for 16-18", I'm happy with 5"- as vacuum in itself means very little.

To get it properly tuned you can use a vacuum gauge and plug reading, but the best way by a long shot with with a A/F gauge.

For this engine box stock setting won't be far off at all.

As for the exhaust question, widen the LSA by 2 and add 5-10 degrees to the exhaust duration.

No manifold is a good manifold though- the best though still lousy would be the LT1 manifolds you'd be surprised the difference a good exhaust can make. night and day.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

As you say good exhaust. would an exhaust with manifolds but though good muffler's and pipes be a dog ??

But as we are discussing vacuum right now. you need vacuum for power brakes and such stuff. Once I ran a wild BBC in a car that had power brakes and compared to the mild SBC I had the brake's Sucked with the low vacuum making BBC.

Monzter.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:27 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzter
As you say good exhaust. would an exhaust with manifolds but though good muffler's and pipes be a dog ??

But as we are discussing vacuum right now. you need vacuum for power brakes and such stuff. Once I ran a wild BBC in a car that had power brakes and compared to the mild SBC I had the brake's Sucked with the low vacuum making BBC.

Monzter.
very true. I just accept lack of power brakes, along with power steering, AC, etc. a solid 16" of vacuum is all you need for brakes though- 20" is overkill.

And headers make the biggest difference.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

Well since this is my Jeep and I would like to use it on daily basis if i'm in that kind of mood, So Power brakes and everything must be up to task. but then again power brakes are not an issue with 200 @50 cam

I'm going to try to get header's for this Jeep. are there any special muffler's you recommend for this application ? must be quiet

Best Regards.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:47 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icejeep
Well since this is my Jeep and I would like to use it on daily basis if i'm in that kind of mood, So Power brakes and everything must be up to task. but then again power brakes are not an issue with 200 @50 cam

I'm going to try to get header's for this Jeep. are there any special muffler's you recommend for this application ? must be quiet

Best Regards.
FWIW 200 @.050" is a stock cam, smaller than some stock cams actaully, which will lead to stock power.

For mufflers- do you want quiet all the time or only when you are cruising?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Last photo:

I just took the 200 duration cam at an example, I'we ran with 216/228 cam with no issues and as i'we learned with that cam, is that it's too big to be used with stock converter and these high gear's i'm running. IMHO.

I haven't made up my mind yet about the mufflers, but it must at least be quiet at cruising ! what do you recommend for both application's ?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:14 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I like magnaflows, they make some noise when you hit the lod pedal but cruising they have little interior resonance (Flowmasters have a lot of resonance). With 2 1/4" exhaust into a 3" pipe and then a single magnaflow muffler with a 210/210 cam it'll be pretty mild. noticeably different but not a race sound by far.

Sound pretty close to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqClU...eature=related
Old 03-30-2010, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

Thank's again Ap.
I really like the sound of that Jeep in the video, barely noticeable at idle, which is grate and won't drive you crazy during long trip's.

Then the next part Ignition... Is Stock GM Hei with Msd 6Al good enough ?

Also do I need to modify the bolt holes on the pre '87 intake to fit the '87+ heads ?

And the endless question, with the engine this mild and everything in good condition and properly tuned, would 15-17 MPG on the highway be in reach ?

Greetings from Iceland..

Last edited by Icejeep; 03-31-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

?

Regards.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:48 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

may need to slightly modify the bolt holes, not a big deal. A stock HEI in good condition will be fine. As everyone has already said, 15 MPG is a reasonable goal if everything is in check.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

Thank's a lot for your help Mr. Ap. I appreciate it a lot
I will update this thread when i'm making some progress with this project.

Greetings from Iceland.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.