350 SBC build parts list for your approval - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 SBC build parts list for your approval

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum are am thing about doing a V8 swap into my Datsun 240Z. As with just about everyone’s build the idea is to keep the cost down and get the best performance/dollar possible. The tranny is going to be a T5 from a V8 camaro going to a 4.11 R200 open diff. My Target power is approx 300hp/350tq at the wheels.

(1) Junkyard 350 short block with stock oil pan. I’ll be taking everything apart and reinstalling it after a good cleaning with new bearing. I would like to not get the block machined due to cost.

(2) Pro comp Aluminum Heads (210cc Intake Port, 64cc Chamber, 2.02/1.6 Stainless Valves, .550 Lift Springs, Straight Plug)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMALL-BLOCK-...item588fe0ed3b

(3) COMP XTREME ENERGY CAM XR282HR
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-SBC-SB-...item20bec8955b

(4) Comp Cams High Energy Hydraulic Lifter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comp-Cams-Hi...item4cfc0527c1

(5) 7.4-inch pushrods

(6) 1.6+ rocker rollers

Let me know what you think of the parts list and if I can do better for the money. I especially would like to try and save a lil money by getting a cheaper cam.

My car already has upgraded brakes, coilover suspension, thicker front and rear sway bars, strut bars, 275/4017 tires on the rear and 255/45/17 on the front. Below are a few pictures of my car:

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,008 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum are am thing about doing a V8 swap into my Datsun 240Z. As with just about everyone’s build the idea is to keep the cost down and get the best performance/dollar possible. The tranny is going to be a T5 from a V8 camaro going to a 4.11 R200 open diff. My Target power is approx 300hp/350tq at the wheels.

(1) Junkyard 350 short block with stock oil pan. I’ll be taking everything apart and reinstalling it after a good cleaning with new bearing. I would like to not get the block machined due to cost.

(2) Pro comp Aluminum Heads (210cc Intake Port, 64cc Chamber, 2.02/1.6 Stainless Valves, .550 Lift Springs, Straight Plug)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMALL-BLOCK-...item588fe0ed3b

(3) COMP XTREME ENERGY CAM XR282HR
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-SBC-SB-...item20bec8955b

(4) Comp Cams High Energy Hydraulic Lifter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comp-Cams-Hi...item4cfc0527c1

(5) 7.4-inch pushrods

(6) 1.6+ rocker rollers

Let me know what you think of the parts list and if I can do better for the money. I especially would like to try and save a lil money by getting a cheaper cam.

My car already has upgraded brakes, coilover suspension, thicker front and rear sway bars, strut bars, 275/4017 tires on the rear and 255/45/17 on the front. Below are a few pictures of my car:
First off, stop it with the poor mouth. You can't do what you want to do without spending some money. If you try to cut corners, you will probably be buying components that will lay down on you and it will cost more than twice as much to rebuild it later. Either wait until you have the money to do it properly the first time or take up another hobby that isn't so expensive.

Looks to me like you like to do a little curvy/twisty driving. If that's true, then I would spend some money on a good oiling system that won't uncover the pickup on hard turns. Call up Milodon and talk with a tech.

The cam you have chosen is a roller tappet hydraulic unit. It will not work with the flat tappet lifters you have chosen.

1.6 rockers will only add about 15 horsepower over the standard 1.5 rockers, while playing havoc with the valvetrain. If you want more lift, build with more cam and more static compression ratio. The timing on the cam you chose dictates a 9.6:1 to 9.8:1 static compression ratio to make a dynamic compression ratio that will work on pump gas.

I'd say you need to do some reading.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:58 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I'd say you need to forget the chevy 350 idea entirely and just swap in an L28ET with a turbo and injector upgrade and a megasquirt system. Its actually part of what I'm putting into my 280z and for the money you'll be MUCH better off.

You only want 350hp- that's EASY for an L28ET, or an L28E+T for that matter.

There is no good reason to go through the headache and expense of swapping to a chevy 350 if you only want 350hp.

Looks like you have a LOT of reading to do.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

techinspector1: thanx for the response. I'll do a lil more research on the engine and see what i can comeup with. Do you have any paticual sourse that would be worth reading to give me more guidance for this project?

ap72: The reason i'm not doing a L28ET swap is because I dont want to do a turbo motor for my car; also i really want to use my 4.11 R200 diff.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Do you have any paticual sourse that would be worth reading to give me more guidance for this project?
I would recommend reading everything David Vizard has written. Here's where to start....
http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Yo...2514042&sr=1-7
Buy one of the used ones to save some sheckels. I do it all the time. Read this through several times and take notes. This will give you a good foundation for reading more Vizard. Here are some of his other offerings....
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ard&x=13&y=15#
Old 11-28-2011, 02:52 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Just about any SBC you put in there will make it right now fast. I knew someone who use to convert them. You could have a small block in there in 1 day. You can use ram horn exhaust manifolds. Even with a 283 it will run like a Cobra. They use to use a Muncie 4 speed for the conversions.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd
You can use ram horn exhaust manifolds.
Yes you can, if you want to give up 50 horsepower.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:21 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Yes you can, if you want to give up 50 horsepower.
50 hp is nothing when you put a V8 in there The cars don't weigh a lot. I remember when the V8 went in you could spin the tires at will. There use to be a lot of those Z cars around. I remember them using the ram horns because they fit in there. They would make the transmission cross member out of angle iron for the Muncie.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

True the car is very light at 2400lbs with all the fulids. That was the primary reason i decided not to go for a 383 stroker; figured i'd have serious traction problems with 400+tq.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
ap72: The reason i'm not doing a L28ET swap is because I dont want to do a turbo motor for my car; also i really want to use my 4.11 R200 diff.

What does the engine have to do with the R200 differential? I don't know what you have against turbo engines but it can get the job done for you a LOT more easily and cheaply. If you can avoid swapping engine types, especially from different manufacturers, it saves a lot of headache and money. You could turbo that for less than a grand. It will cost you more to just rebuild the chevy much less install it.

If you're going to swap an engine I would at least go all the way and go with a 5.3L LS, it would be cheaper than rebuilding an sbc and they're better engines.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 AM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

What is your budget? There are plenty of 350 crate engines in the 300-350HP range on ebay for just over $2K. $3K and you're in the 400+HP range.

Also for a low HP 350 build the PC 210 heads are too big IMO. Will kill low end power. Go with the 195's. Or save a dime and get some Vortec heads.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:06 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Seems like a really nice little ride just the way it is but its your money and it will not be cheap, never is.

Down draft webers would be a good upgrade for the current setup IMO,,,but

Have fun:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

Last edited by Custom10; 11-29-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.