Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 350 sbc coolant drain plugs
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 12:55 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Sounds good, thanks fellas.

While I've got your attention - is a sintered bronze fuel filter at the carb sufficient (Summit brand replaceable) or should I add a paper or stainless or sintered bronze before the mechanical pump? Street car with 350 H.P. max.
Many guys don't like the sintered elements. I personally don't mind them as long as the particle size matches the application and it has enough area and flow.

I see Summit has a couple different sintered elements. The one that looks like a small top hat doesn't seem to have a micron rating so I'll guess it's fairly coarse. It is smaller than I'd want to see. But the longer cone-shaped sintered element (35 micron) looks OK.

A mechanical pump is pretty forgiving to crud in the fuel. In many/most cases the factory didn't bother to use a filter before the mechanical pump, most vehicles had only the sock in the tank until the filter right at the carb. That said, a 100 micron filter before the pump couldn't hurt as long as it has sufficient area/flow.

A finer filter can be used after the pump, like a 40 micron. Same thing with enough area/flow.