350 sbc engine strarting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 sbc engine strarting

Will upgrading to a fully HEI distributor give me one turn starts. Now I have my originbal distributor without the points but with the Petronix II ignition module installed inside my distributor with their recommended coil. It takes me 3 or 4 tries with patting on the gas to get it to start each time. I have a 600 edelbrock. Just was wondering what i would need to do to get it to start faster.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

i'm wondering the same thing---i'm always amazed each time i hear a car start by just touching the key. My 78 305 can do that(and i'm not sure why) as long as it hasn't been sitting for a while.

It if makes you feel better, my TBI car takes at least 2-3 secs of cranking to start; i think it has something to do with the crank position sensor----the computer has to figure out exactly where the engine is before it can assign the right spark to the cylinders as well as to time the injectors properly. (i think?)

P.S. i do not know what the inital timing is set at on the 305----because i can't see the timing marks.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds View Post
i'm wondering the same thing---i'm always amazed each time i hear a car start by just touching the key. My 78 305 can do that(and i'm not sure why) as long as it hasn't been sitting for a while.

It if makes you feel better, my TBI car takes at least 2-3 secs of cranking to start; i think it has something to do with the crank position sensor----the computer has to figure out exactly where the engine is before it can assign the right spark to the cylinders as well as to time the injectors properly. (i think?)

P.S. i do not know what the inital timing is set at on the 305----because i can't see the timing marks.
Well this is in a 1969 chevy caprice, only mods I have done is a edelbrock intake, edelbrock 600cfm carb, top end work when i first got it a while a ago, hedman headers, edelbrock fuel pump and just some basic stock performance add ons. No computer or knock sensors anywhere. I wanted to get this figured out because i have a complete rebuilt bottom end vortec block that I was going to take some of my accessories and switch over such as distributor, carb, wires, headers, and whatever I can use but wanted it start right up with one turn of a switch.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969chevyss View Post
Will upgrading to a fully HEI distributor give me one turn starts. Now I have my originbal distributor without the points but with the Petronix II ignition module installed inside my distributor with their recommended coil. It takes me 3 or 4 tries with patting on the gas to get it to start each time. I have a 600 edelbrock. Just was wondering what i would need to do to get it to start faster.
There is no guarantee swapping to an HEI will solve the "problem", but then I don't use the Pertronix set-up so I don't know if your issue is something related to it, like they aren't able to allow one bump starts like an HEI can. But I tend to doubt it- the Pertronix should start as easily and quickly as an HEI, I would think. Maybe someone w/experience w/them both can help.

Clean plugs help, I use this procedure when the engine is cold: floor the accelerator pedal once, start engine w/foot OFF gas.

Warm- bump the key and that's all- foot OFF gas. One bump is all it takes, I have HEI.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

Maybe Im just over thinking what a carb 350 should so because that how basically start mines. Maybe when cold I have to pat the gas two or three times but she fires right up. If is warm, it turns over for just a second or two but fires off.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.