350 sbc help milky color on sip stick - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 sbc help milky color on sip stick

Howís it going I have a few questions and please forgive my grammar in advance. So Iím having some oil issues with this sbc. The compression checked out perfect, did new intake gaskets, oil pan gasket, water pump, timing chain, rear main seal, got everything back together and truck runs very smooth no noticeable issues. We ran it down the track two times and had no issues. BTW all internals are stock and where not changed just new gaskets. And I have seen no smoke come out the tail pipes, no liquid nothing like I said runs very smooth. So I ran the last time down the track and smelled some oil went to the pits and popped the hood and looked like a milky cream color was (sprayed) on the passenger side of the motor on the bottom by the control arm. Vehicle is an s10. And some on the fuel pump. I did not see any visable point where it was coming from, so I turned it on and let it idle did not see any oil spraying or anything. And there was no sign of a blown head gasket, now knowing iv only got it hot a couple times and let it cool down then hot for a few minutes and cool down then it could be condensation cause the motor ran fine before we did new gaskets. BTW all gaskets are kork. Did not see any oil on the lip where the heads meet the block. So took it home witch was a 1.5 mile drive from my fatherís house and when I got to my house there was the milky oil all over the passenger side again. By no smoke cause I was watching the whole time and she also drove like a dream on the way home. I donít know where this is coming from cause does not leak when the oil pressure is good or (normal) but seems to be leaking/spraying when driving or under load. Can someone please help. I do not want to tear this motor apart or take it out again. Tomorrow I will be making sure everything is tight and put the truck on jacks and let it do a small load, just donít want to break anything or make it worse. Please ask any questions if I left anything out.
p.s I will be doing a pressure test 2marrow and draining it to see if I see anything mixed.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 03:20 AM

Last photo:

Is this a street vehicle with no modifications to the engine other than a rebuild?

What is on the bottom of the oil fill cap?

What is on the top of the dipstick?

What are using for a breather? Stock PCV or similar hopefully.

Is the oil fill cap or dipstick on the same side of the engine as where you're getting the spray? Is the fan pushing this around?

With engine running remove the oil fiiler or dipstick. Is it breathing severely out of either?

Lastly, and most importantly, are you using coolant?

IF you can verify that you are not using coolant and IF it isn't breathing like a steam engine out of the filler or dipstick tube, then your issue is 'most likely' a lack of crankcase ventilation which is causing condensation to build in the crankcase.

You mentioned that you just changed 'all the gaskets.' Are the head gaskets included in the 'all the gaskets' and why did you do that? Was everything leaking?

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:03 AM

yes no mods, other then a used (like new) victor JR intake.

What is on the bottom of the oil fill cap? will check in the morning

What is on the top of the dipstick? will check in the morning

What are using for a breather? Stock PCV or similar hopefully. stock

Is the oil fill cap or dipstick on the same side of the engine as where you're getting the spray? Is the fan pushing this around? oil fill cap is on the same side as spray (passenger side) and no leaks coming out of it.

With engine running remove the oil fiiler or dipstick. Is it breathing severely out of either? will do this in the morning But i do not see any smoke coming out of either as it is not a sxew on oil fill its just the chrome time with rubber seal pushed on.

Lastly, and most importantly, are you using coolant? i am actually not using collant i am running pure water with some stop a leak for the rediator. as the track requires only water.

i did not change the head gaskets though i should have when i had it all tore down. when i got the truck it ran just fine drove it for a week and no spray nothing when i drained the oil i had no milky color i changed a few gaskets and changed the intake to a better flow one. and now im getting this spray from front passenger side of motor no smoke from engine or tail pipes and seems to be only doing it under pressure or a load driving cause at idle i get nothing even idleing for a while.

thanks for your reply and i will try those things 2marrow and let u know
Old 04-15-2013, 06:51 AM

put a pressure tester on the rad and check to see if it holds pressure.Also if it holds pressure,start engine with tester still on and see if pressure climbs quickly?Does the truck have a/c?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

THere's two bolt holes on the front of the block passenger side right by the fuel pump. Originally used for front mounts. Common leakage point. One bolt hole is usually used to hold up the fuel pump pushrod during fuel pump install. THey need short bolts with sealer in them.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 PM

RWENUTS thanks i did not even think of that at all, you know how it is when ur stressin out. but there was no bolt in there so i found a short one stuck it in and waaaabammm and it looks like no leak. lets keep the fingers crossed.

thank you everybody for the answers and help. now there still is one more concern the milky oil.

Condinsation ?

i took some pics and will upload them and you can tell me what u think.

64nailhead
i checked the dip stick and oil fill while running and not one puff of smoke. or steam nothing. also there was a very small amount of milky oil on oil cap also a few small drops of water (like a leaf in the morning) lol best example.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

If you leak test it,it should narrow it down for you.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySDime View Post
RWENUTS thanks i did not even think of that at all, you know how it is when ur stressin out. but there was no bolt in there so i found a short one stuck it in and waaaabammm and it looks like no leak. lets keep the fingers crossed.

thank you everybody for the answers and help. now there still is one more concern the milky oil.

Condinsation ?

i took some pics and will upload them and you can tell me what u think.

64nailhead
i checked the dip stick and oil fill while running and not one puff of smoke. or steam nothing. also there was a very small amount of milky oil on oil cap also a few small drops of water (like a leaf in the morning) lol best example.
In the am remove the oil drain plug and drain a quart of oil out. If there's any appreciable amount of water/coolant in the oil, it will be painfully obvious- the oil will look like a milkshake.

If there's only a small amount of contaminated oil, then it runs clear, it was likely condensation. If there's more, the head gasket(s) may be leaking or possibly the water crossover of the intake is leaking into the lifter valley.

Don't drive it anymore until you sort this out- water in the oil will kill the bearings, etc.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.