350 sbc HP/TQ question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2003, 03:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Arrow 350 sbc HP/TQ question

How much HP/TQ will a stock 350 sbc crank and pistons handle? Also, what about the 487X heads, any idea what HP/TQ they can produce on a 350 sbc? Another question: Will a TBI setup work on any Hi-Perf 350 motor?

[ March 03, 2003: Message edited by: stfinney ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2003, 04:57 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Are you asking what type of HP you can pull from a motor with stock shortblock and 487 heads??
Assuming they are 1.94s not 2.02 and its an 8.5:1 ratio and dished stockers.I'd say 335HP/370ft/lb with the right cam,intake and carb with headers.
My motor is a stock shortblock with dished pistons and 993 heads which are said to be similar to the 487s.It has a 8.6:1 ratio with thin gaskets and was DD2000 at 325hp/366Tq and DD2000 again at 315/365Tq.
Thats with a performer,600holley and 1 5/8headers
Old 03-03-2003, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

How much can the stock crank and pistons handle? The 350 has different heads right now. They are 624's, which I am trashing and using the 487X's. I have a Weiand Action Plus manifold, Edelbrock 600cfm carb, Accel Super Coil on an Accel Distributor, Accel shorty plugs with 8.8 plug wires and 1 5/8 headers. The cam is a Crane Energizer 278 duration with .467 lift and 222 @ 50. I am going to put a different cam in it, any suggestions for this setup? It's in a fullsize chevy truck with 3.73 gears.

[ March 03, 2003: Message edited by: stfinney ]</p>
Old 03-04-2003, 06:16 AM

Last photo:

Talking

Nobody has an idea huh? That's hard to believe...LOL
Old 03-04-2003, 07:00 AM

[quote]Originally posted by stfinney:
<strong>Nobody has an idea huh? That's hard to believe...LOL </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, maybe if you were a little less VAGUE, you'd get better responses.
Then again, you can find all of this information EASILY on the internet if you bother looking.
What kind of Crank??? Cast??? Pistons???? Rods???
My Crystal Ball says:
If we're talking about used crank and rods, then it all depends on how they have been treated maintenance wise, and driving wise. Mileage would also come into play here. Stock parts are just that, as in STOCK. They're good for moderate builds but won't last or hold together under stress and higher HP use like better quality parts will. Personally speaking I'd rate a stock assembly for no more than 400-450 HP, (assuming new parts)but that's strictly my opinion, based upon experience and broken parts. Then again, if you're going to buy new stock parts why not spend a little more and get Good Parts? Yes, a TBI setup will work on any Hi Perf 350, provided it's installed/configured properly.

[ March 04, 2003: Message edited by: Airport Towing ]</p>
Old 03-04-2003, 07:05 AM

Last photo:

I'd use the XE268 Comp but actually the cam ya got ain't really that bad.Just it ain't a split profile.
As far as the crank and pistons the GM quest motor was up to like 450HP with heads and a 177(I think) blower and it was a stock GM service replacement shortblock.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

I am not buying stock parts. The parts are already in the motor from when I got it as a rebuilt. As far as I know the block, pistons and rods are stock. It is a 350 4 bolt main. I was just wondering how much they would handle. I am not sure what brand or anything they are. Thanks for the kind reply monte! I wasn't trying to be VAGUE, I just don't know what they are. Do you think my 278 duration cam would be good with the 3.73 rear and a 2000 stall converter?
Old 03-04-2003, 11:21 AM

You probably won't see much of a power increase going to the 487, but the 624 is a horribly thin casting. The 487's have good beef to them and you can do a little bowl work and port matching to make up for their poor chamber design some.

The bottom end of your motor will definitely handle all the power the 487 heads can possibly dish out (naturally aspirated)
Old 03-04-2003, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

I'd use the 278 cause its allready there.The EX268 would be slightly better but I don't think it will be worth the $170
But while youve got the heads off pop in thin gaskets,if ya got dished pistons,just to bump the compression up a hair(I seem to be saying this to everyone lately lol)
Old 03-04-2003, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, I was going to put the .15 thickness (I think!) on there to raise compression a bit. The 487X are totally rebuilt, so they should boost power a bit too. Plus, I might change over to an Edelbrock RPM intake instead of the Wieand. Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-04-2003, 02:49 PM
speed freak

Probably if you are talking about anything other than forged parts, which I believe you are, in my opinion, the are good for up to about 450 hp. Most stock rods and cranks are not forged, unless you are talking about some of the real hi po motors.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.