Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 350 SBC / Vortec Heads: Cam Choice?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

vortec heads

I have used the vortec head on a couple of my recent builds and they flow great for a stock head, the engine that is on my test stand now has the 062 cast head they have had the studd bosses cut down and tapped for screw in studds only because of the cam i used which is the gmpp LT4 hot cam (525/525) this engine with a stock vortec or zz piston(they are the same) runs awsome(hitting 8000 rpms on the stand no problem),the last engine we did with the vortecs had the voodoo hyd flat tappit, did nothing to the studds,ran the stock self-aligning rocker and a Z28 style spring we just had to cut the valve seal boss down(a cutter for these is cheap and at any nappa or autozone) to prevent bind,which is the only reason you have to keep your lift down soo low on the vortec heads also no self align rocker is needed if you open the pushrod hole in the head with a drill, we have found that the vortec is a great budget head but keep in mind if you try to put alot of money in these you can get a better,thicker casting head new for around 550.00 a pair(rhs) it is not worth doing any port or custom work to these the factory head it is very thin cast and crack prone but for mild street/strip build you cannot top them