350 sbc won't start! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 sbc won't start!

Hello I have a 350 sbc in my 66 that has been in storage all winter. The garage it is in is not heated. I go to start it and nothing but popping out the exhaust and carb a little. I had taken all plugs out to do a compression test, but I've double and triple checked the placement of the wires, took the dist cap off, rotor is pointing at #1 at tdc. Checked for spark #1 plug, it's there. Battery is at 12.5 volts. I pumped the pedal to give it enough fuel. I've tried and tried but nothing helps. Just popping out the exhaust, no start. I don't know what to check anymore this thing is driving me crazy! And yes I checked that the dist shaft is not broken when I had the cap off! Wtf is going on here!?! Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Was is running when you stored it? Sounds like the standard case of having the distributor 180* off.
If you had ethanol fuel when you stored it then your carb may be gunked up.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:00 PM

Yes it was running fine when I parked it. And no the rotor is pointing at the number one terminal on the dist cap, at 8 degrees tdc compression. It had regular pump gas, and I can see fuel spray out the nozzles when I pump the accelerator pump arm.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:02 AM

Last photo:

I have the same issue with a fresh engine that's in a car I've been restoring for the past 3 years.

First, the basics, you said you have spark. Is this a points or HEI system? But some spark should be enough to get it to fire. What color is the spark? Next, are you sure your getting fuel? I prefer using a clear fuel filter so that it is obvious that I either have or do not have fuel. The fuel gauge is not an indicator of the carb getting fuel and also a yank or two on the throttle and seeing squirts from the accelerator circuit isn't a guarantee either. What carb do you have?

Get a well charged battery or a charger/jumper cables hooked up. Hold the throttle wide open and spray approximatiely a 1/4 of a can of carb cleaner into the carb - all barrels. Then crank until it fires pumping the throttle lightly at the same time.

FYI-twice I've managed to park my car with it running, and after it sat for an extended period I found it out of gas and doing exactly what you are saying yours is doing. I never put much gas in it because I'm canning it. The gas tank has an open breather and it must evaporate more than I think it would. Also, I started using the carb cleaner method about two years ago and found the inital startup is alot better. It takes less than 10 seconds of cranking for the nailhead to fire up and purr like a Wildcat.

Good luck - Jim

Almost forgot - the choke isn't stuck open is it? That's a cold start killer when it 60 degrees out let alone 10 or 20.

Last edited by 64nailhead; 03-02-2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.