Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 350 small block vortec problems, stalls out
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltsulli1 View Post
This truck is strictly an off road truck it will probably never come out of 1st and or 2nd gear... Fuel milagr doesn't bother me... So can I completely get rid of or plug off vacuum advance? Will this help the truck from dying going into gear? I'm sorry I'm kinda virgin to the tuning part of things. Thanks again
You need more initial timing first. I edited my original post to include the vacuum advance. Having it might make the engine run a little better during the times you are under light throttle. If these times are rare, you can run w/o it.

If you are using a vacuum advance connected to manifold (full time) vacuum, this can cause the engine to stall if you don't have enough initial timing. When it goes into gear, the vacuum drops off. This can cause the vacuum advance to drop off as well, and you lose the timing it was supplying.

That's why I said to add initial timing- as much as the engine needs- then to use ported vacuum for the vacuum advance.