Hot Rod Forum banner

350 stalling issue

625 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  69612 
#1 ·
Hey guys heres the deal. I have an 88 caprice classic wagon that had a 307 olds with a 2004-r. Swapped the 307 for a 350 chevy and kept the 2004-r. Everything worked well for a bit. Then I installed a pressure switch for overdrive and got overdrive to work. Few days later the battery was dead. Put a battery and alternator in it just to have new stuff. Alternator started squealing. Next day hard to start and wants to die when put in gear unless I pedal it. Any way this stall could be associated with alternator or charging circuit? Or switch for overdrive? Or the fact that whatever computer this thing has in it isn't hooked to anything but alternator and starter? Any help would be appreciated

#2 ·
check the alternator belt tension. engine off.. use a socket on the alternator pulley nut.. you should NOT be able to cause the alternator to slip without turning the crank.. the trick is you need to tighten the belt to a fraction of an inch tighter than what allows the belt to slip.

print and perform this test.. http://i.imgur.com/WMDprhm.jpg

test 5 may be hard to perform. as these models don't have an underhood fuse box.

the computer may still be in control of the torque converter clutch solenoid..

it kinda depends on all the devices on the motor to know when to lock the torque converter clutch. since the battery went dead the computer will have lost its learned memory perhaps..

i will have to look at some info... see if the torque converter clutch apply can be monitored at the ALDL connector. .

you might want to unplug the electrical connector on the transmission. and see if that stops the stalling issue..

failed torque converter clutch solenoids will usually stall the engine when you shift into any gear.. i usually test them by jacking up the car so the drive wheels are free to spin.. starting the engine in neutral.. releasing my foot from the brake.. and pulling it into drive.. so there is no restriction on the wheels spinning. i apply the brake pedal.. if the engine chugs to a stop like you were driving a stick shift car and came to a stop sign without pushing on the clutch pedal. the TCC system has issues.

there are smarter transmission techs here. i am not.. i do engine controls.. . i always thought that the 3 and 4th gear pressure switches told the computer that the transmission had shifted into 3rd or 4th gear so the ECM could lock up the torque clutch..

do the drives wheels up test.. lets see what happens..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.