350 stock GM block hp? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2009, 03:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 stock GM block hp?

How much horse power can a new stock GM 350 block handle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Last photo:

Depends on the quality of the componets used to make the HP, but as a general rule around 700 HP.

Vince
Old 12-26-2009, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Vince,

I was told with what I was putting together my block was my week link.

Bruce
Old 12-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`m curious, what were you told?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

I'm putting together a 680+hp 350 chevy. I presented everything to my builder for the build and he asked why I didn't go with an after market block. I told him price. He said the block is where he would be concerned. I told him I thought because it was a brand new block it should be alright. He thought that at 7500+rpm that it might have a hard time holding together.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If the block is a mexican block I wouldn`t trust it to those power levels. If it was cast here in the states I would have it sonic checked. Small block chevy`s are stout blocks and they can handle a good bit of power. However, if you`ve got a cylinder with a bit of excessive core shift it`ll be the weak link. Sometimes finding a useable block for high power applications is difficult. In your case if your truly going to make that kind of power, I would use a aftermarket block long before I trusted a stock block to hold up at those levels.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I agree with DV. My machinist will take my block to get sonic checked for $75. Cheap insurance for me cause i drive a lot and wouldn't want the block coming apart 50 miles from home. Plus think about all the goodies inside of the block. When it comes apart chances are that there is anything from the rotating assembly that is reusable is close to none. Yes an aftermarket block is even better insurance but I am with you. They are big money so use what you got dependably.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:25 PM
More for Less Racer

You are certainly pushing the limits on the block. Street/Strip or Drag use you will probably be fine, circle track it will come apart, it is just a matter of when. Could be sooner, could last a season+.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods
How much horse power can a new stock GM 350 block handle?
What is it going to be used for?

Which new 350 block? GM makes a lot of them, they have casting numbers and you can count the bolts holding the main caps on. Heavy duty castings usually have 4 bolt mains, but not always.

Usually the crank or rods give up before the block. While your dreams of 700-800 horse on a production block are certainly running it to the outer edge of its design. I'd be worrying about the crank and rods well before the block. On the other hand a set of 1000 hp rated crank, rods, and pistons in a production block that's expected to accept that output is asking for trouble.

Bogie
Old 12-27-2009, 03:45 PM

I have an opinion I would like to share.
Those building engines in the 600+hp range should by all means go with an aftermarket hp block. If your building in the 400-550 range, then go with the later 1pc rms. Yes I know some of you are saying that the old vintage blocks have thicker cyl. walls, and how great they are, but one thing for sure, the improvements on the 1pc far outweigh those of the early two pc. Those not running the engine much may get by with an oem block in high hp use, but the day will come when disaster strikes. I bought 450 brand new GM Bowtie blocks from GM for a song and dance, and have sold over half of them in the first six months, at 45 cents on the dollar. Some are being built to 900hp levels, and they will take this all day long. Another problem I have with the oem early style blocks is the cost to machine the block to high hp standards. This can get real expensive, and that's why the aftermarket blocks have done so well. Dart now has a low cost block for those wanting to build a somewhat high hp engine, and I can promise you it is far superior to an oem block. I really don't like using any of the old GM blocks for any kind of build up. They just don't seem to last. Boring out to 60 over is insane in my opinion, and many do it just to avoid buying another block. If your never going to run the engine hard, and limit buildup, then you may be ok. Any of you guys that know me, should know I haven't offered any sbc engines using junkyard 2pc. rms blocks ever. The machine work to make these blocks usable is just to extensive to risk loosing an engine is one of the main factors.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

To answer a few questions.

It is a new mexican block w/4 bolt mains. Purchased from summit.

Building for drag racing only.

I don't plan to bore it. Keep it at 4.00"

The builder said he would machine and blue print it to exacting tolerances.

I have a forged Lunati std. stroke crank, forged crower rods, and srp pistons. All rated over 700 hp. The assembly will be weight matched and balanced.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods
To answer a few questions.

It is a new mexican block w/4 bolt mains. Purchased from summit.

Building for drag racing only.

I don't plan to bore it. Keep it at 4.00"

The builder said he would machine and blue print it to exacting tolerances.

I have a forged Lunati std. stroke crank, forged crower rods, and srp pistons. All rated over 700 hp. The assembly will be weight matched and balanced.
You won't have any issues from this setup. Keeping the engine at 350 cid, and going with the forged crank are good. You said your dragracing only. Are the SRP pistons the 4000 series high silicone forged series. They will be ok for sure, but if your not going to run on the street, then by all means go with the 2618 aircraft alloy low silicone pistons next time. Nothing wrong with the pistons your using, but they are a street/strip version I believe. Good that your keeping the bore size to 4.00 this not only strengthens the walls but adds to the blocks overall integrety.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

The srp's are the 2618 premium forged.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.