350 sudden rough low idle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2004, 04:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 sudden rough low idle

I have a Suburban with a new (5k miles) 350 pre-87 crate motor, a edelbrock intake and carb (1405 I think) and performer (?) distributor. EGR and PVC are hooked up.

Last week it suddenly went into a very low rough idle, maybe 400rpm and stalling , and occasionally the power brakes stop working (extra effort to stop, not fun when you don't expect it).

This had occured 2-3 times previously but only for a few minutes at most now its continuosly rough.

What should I start checking?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2004, 04:28 PM

Perhaps the float is sticking , maybe some dirt or something in the needle and seat area.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:50 PM

I have nothing but grief from this carb. It was completely stripped down and cleaned when I put the new motor in.

I forgot to mention that this all started after I did a "blast" down the road maybe 4000 rpm. The reason I mention this is I have really baby-ed the motor. We were paying 2.05 a gallon back when everyone else was shelling out 1.50!

I have raised the idle to 800 just to be able to drive. The truck seems OK over 1000 rpm.

Is it possible to have a low / rough idle due to a vacuum leak, torn diaphragm ? Will dirt or a stuck float cause the power brakes to loss vacuum, maybe a sudden dip in rpm?

I'm really afraid to drive this beast, don't want to ruin someone elses day or rear bumper :-)
Old 06-17-2004, 05:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Have a good look around the engine compartment for a hose blown off or a crack in one. Perhaps just a vacuum advance hose got pulled off during your little blast.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Also sounds like you may have a plugged idle circuit in the carb, on one side or the other. Been there, done it before.

You can try screwing in each mix screw, counting the turns and make a note of how many. Then remove each screw and shoot some carb cleaner in each hole in the base of the carb. Then re-install each screw, matching the number of turns back out, from seated.

Then start it up, wind it up in park to around 1500 rpm and then slam the choke shut hard! That will usually suck out any little piece of crap that may be blocking an idle passage.

This has worked many times for me too, providing its NOT a Holley carb with an un-protected power valve.
Shut off the engine and switch any 2 plug wires. Fire it up and punch it a few times. Hopefully you can get a good backfire out the carb. Blown out many a crap filled idle circuit that way.
Put the wires back and see how it runs.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:37 PM

Sounds exciting :-)

I'll check for leaks to start then try cleaning out the card. OR any recommendations on a better carb ?

Just curious would a bad lifter cause those symptoms or vacuum leak from the power breaks, egr or pvc valve?
Old 06-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A bad brake booster can cause that problem. Usually the pedal is rock hard and often you will hear a big vacuum sucking sound from under the dash when you step on the brake. Sometimes the booster is mounted on a short bracket and the sound is not noticable inside.

If the engine idles fine until you step on the brakes, i'd suspect the booster. A pcv valve usually won't cause that problem, unless the guts fall out and it starts sucking huge amounts of air.

A stuck open EGR valve will for sure cause that problem too. You can usually ck it by hooking up a vac hose and sucking on it. If the engine dies or idles real bad with vacuum applied, the valve is ok. If you apply vacuum and nothing changes ( and it still is idling bad), its probably suck open. You can usually put one finger under the EGR valve and feel the diaphram move when you apply vacuum.
Mark
Old 06-17-2004, 08:05 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

My guess is the EGR valve sticking open also.

tom
Old 06-17-2004, 08:37 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I had something similar happen to my caprice. It was a large vacuum leak, in my case it was at line behind the carb running to the intake.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:52 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone and let you all know it was the EGR. After removing / plugging the vacuum line and resetting the idle everything smoothed out.

Plug it back in and everything goes to heck :-)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.