Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Engine (
-   -   350 TBI to 350 TBI VORTEC SWAP (

IWANTMOREHP 07-25-2004 03:19 PM

What would I have to change over if I wanted to change my 93' Chevy Silverado 350 5.7L TBI to a 95 5.7L Vortec?

edge 07-25-2004 07:25 PM

You will need a Vortec TBI intake and a driver's side exhaust manifold for Vortec engines along with the EGR tube. You will probably need to install a different chip as well.

Pace Performance and Scoggin-Dickey could both sell you what you need for the swap. Also, check out CFM Technologies for they specialize in TBI performance.

If you have the cash, you should also consider Edelbrock's Multi-Point Fuel Injection Conversion Kit . I just put one on my 94' Suburban with the stock 5.7 engine, but the Vortec conversion is advertised to produce 265 HP and 340 ft/lbs. It comes with everything except the in-tank fuel pump and exhaust manifold or EGR tube kit. You can buy their pump or a pump for a 91' Firebird GTA at a local parts store. It is an easy swap and works and performs as advertised, at least for the stock engine.

Good Luck! Ed.

1989 k1500 vortec 02-04-2009 08:42 PM

i have done this to my pickup and the intake is all you need

DoubleVision 02-05-2009 02:32 AM

Are you certain you have a Vortec engine? The name Vortec has been used since the 80`s. In 96 GM started using Blocks on the truck line with roller cams, windage trays and the better Vortec heads. Since you say your engine is a 95 then it could be the same engine you have now which is a flat tappet cam, no windage tray and the horrible swirl vane heads. The better Vortec heads have 8 intake bolts in a straight up pattern. The swirl vane heads use the classic 12 bolt pattern. I may have just said all this for nothing but I just wanted to make sure you knew what you had before you jumped in as I`ve seen many be confused by the name Vortec just as well as I`ve seen guys trying to sell "Vortec" heads that are swirl vane heads just because of the name.

BogiesAnnex1 02-05-2009 12:24 PM


Originally Posted by IWANTMOREHP
What would I have to change over if I wanted to change my 93' Chevy Silverado 350 5.7L TBI to a 95 5.7L Vortec?

1995 is not a Vortec, L31 commenced with the 96 model.

You need to be a bit more definifive with what the 95 is, a Vortec would not have TBI it has a thing called Central Sequential Fuel Injection. Aside from the words Fuel Injection, it shares nothing in common with TBI.

That said, TBI can be adapted to a Vortec headed engine by using a GMPP or Edlebrock intake that bolts to Vortecs at one and and TBI at the other.

The other simple swap is to use the Swirl Port heads off earlier engines and the TBI bolted to a Vortec bottom end.

Some confusion comes in 95 5.7 liter engines as late production started using the 880 Vortec 4 inch bore block. But these used Swirl Port heads and TBI, the only thing Vortec about these engines is the roller cam block. One also needs to be wary of 305s which were called Vortecs for quite some time before 1996, but never had L31 style Vortec heads on them, just the name is all.

To put a true L31 into a TBI vehicle and use the CSFI of the Vortec will change the fuel system starting with the in-tank pump, fuel lines, computer, and wire harness. A lot is involved with this swap.


va4cqd 02-05-2009 05:40 PM

the vortec name has been around since the mid 80s

also, this thread has been dead for over 4 years

machine shop tom 02-05-2009 07:19 PM





DoubleVision 05-02-2012 06:40 AM

This thread started out in 2004, then again in 2009, and now again in 2012. You brought back a old thread to tell us that?

jokerZ71 10-20-2016 09:57 AM


Originally Posted by jasnstina (Post 3942338)
i have a donor 99 yukon and i want to put engine from yukon in my 94 z71 4x4. what do i need to do to make this swap//////???? and would like to know if there is a cheap way to keep tbi from 94 and drill for that intake???? but if i drop whole engine can i do it myself as far as wireing for the 99 into my 94???

Swapping the whole kit & caboodle would be the better choice,but,it would be quite a job.Not real bad tho if you have a complete donor to work with.You would have to upgrade the fuel pump & due to some electrical differences you would need to use the transmission from the 99 as well.You would need the complete PCM & harness from the 99,along with all sensors.
You could also just swap the long blocks & retain your TBI by using either the GM TBI to Vortec intake,or,using a 4 bbl carb intake with a carb to TBI adapter.If emmissions are a concern,you would need to use the GM intake to retain proper EGR function.You would still need to do some chip reprogramming & fueling adjustments to have it run correctly & to realize any gains from the may still need to change fuel pumps & would also need to add an adjustable fuel regulator to your throttlebody.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.