350 TBI Starting Problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 TBI Starting Problems

I have an 88' k2500 with a 5.7l tbi 350. It was sitting for the last couple of years, so I replaced the basics (fluids, oil and fuel filters, battery..... ect...). A couple of months ago I got it to start (had bad gas, probably not a great idea) and it continued to run for about twenty minutes; but it quickly died and wouldn't start. By watching the injectors I figured out that they wouldn't fire. So I poured some fresh fuel into the throttle body and it would fire up for a few seconds and run like a beast. That still left the problem of the injectors; the first thing that came to mind was the fuel pump, from the outside of the truck there wasn't an audible sound so I thought it was dead. Turned out later (after draining the old fuel and pulling the tank off and checking the pump) that it wasn’t it because nothing changed. I ended up catching my engine on fire because of petrol residue on the block and split ignition coil wire gapping. This ended up burning up one vacuum hose (so my engine will run lean). I replaced the old coil wire with a new one and I'm not worrying about the vacuum tube just yet. Later on after giving up for about a month I decided to try it again but after turning the key into the ignition I found out that my radio and heater were dead. I pulled the fuse cover off and was browsing the different places and one caught my eye; it said 10A INJ A+B, wow I felt really stupid. I put new fuses in and now the injectors will fire and I have spark but even with starting fluid it won't fire at all. What is the problem?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 PM
heavy chevy!!!

i had the same problem

check your electronic ignition module in the distributor
Old 01-30-2009, 02:46 PM

I have already pulled it off and cleaned it. Now I know I have spark because I've pulled every spark wire off the plug and they are tapping.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:26 PM
heavy chevy!!!

have you rechecked the sparkplugs to make sure there not fouled? if they are clean and sparking strong make sure the injectors are squirting while the engine is turning. My trucks fuel pump would cut in and out. If it stops working kick the tank that works sometime

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.