350 throttle body injection to carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 07:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 throttle body injection to carb

I've got a 350 with throttle body injection that I want to change over to a carb, it currently uses an electric fuel pump and I need to know if the pump will work with the carb setup or if I need to change back to a mechanical pump. If I change the pump does any one know if the excentric is already on the cam shaft to drive the pump?
thanks,
John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2006, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford
I've got a 350 with throttle body injection that I want to change over to a carb, it currently uses an electric fuel pump and I need to know if the pump will work with the carb setup or if I need to change back to a mechanical pump. If I change the pump does any one know if the excentric is already on the cam shaft to drive the pump?
thanks,
John
The pump should work as long as you use an ajustable fuel pressure regulator
in line. I also would not count on it having a lobe on the cam for fuel pump pushrod. I will also assume you will want to get rid of computer controlled spark while your at it.? So you would need an intake manifold, carb, ajustable
fuel pressure regulator, distributor and gaskets.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:17 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, thats pretty much the plan, as the throttle body just doesn't do it for me.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:14 PM

If it is electronic trans you have to get an over ride for that for the price of about $900. Good luck
Old 07-09-2012, 08:22 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Why are you ditching the TBI? It'll support over 400hp. The heads, cam, manifolds, and compression are a much bigger problem.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:40 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I've recently did this swap on my 4.3 V6.
I kept the in tank fuel pump and this is how I ran it.
I removed the fuel lines going to the TBI and cut the one coming out of the fuel filter to about 4 inches long. I used 3/8 fuel hose from the filter to the carb. In the line is a T fitting. On this T fitting is a output that has a 5/16 bung on it. So I ran a 5/16 hose from it to the return line going back to the tank. In the 5/16 line I installed a jet out of a Holley carb, not even sure of the size. Up by the carb I used a old, cheapy Mr. Gasket adjustable fuel pressure regulator I had laying around. I set it to 4.5 psi. Now when the carb is full and the needle is closed it just diverts the excess fuel back into the fuel tank.
Also, AP72 is right, a TBI can support more power, but you had better be wealthy.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:00 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Wealthy? A $15 big block tbi unit and some grinding and polishing supplies isn't too expensive. Less than a new regulator for your carb. A ms ecu will run you less than a carb too... it uses all the stock sensors, just need to connect the wires and run a vacuum line.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

All the MS ecu's I've looked at are close to $500. I can get a carb far less than that. Nobody said a new carb had to be purchased.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:23 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision View Post
All the MS ecu's I've looked at are close to $500. I can get a carb far less than that. Nobody said a new carb had to be purchased.
Nobody said a new MS unit had to be purchased either, payed $100 and $125 for the ones I currently have, (just MS1 units) MS2 units sell used for about $250, MS3 units for about $500.

Unlike carbs which are often worn out or fubared by some guy with a drill set MS units are very easy to check and fix even if they aren't working upon arrival (both of mine were).
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 AM

Last photo:

I would suppose it comes down to who you get the carb from then.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
I would suppose it comes down to who you get the carb from then.
The other big advantage of running MS is DATALOGGING. Even if you stick with a carb this can be invaluable to actually getting it dialed in, especially when driving on the street where a dyno run is of little use. th eunit I'm installing now will help me do a lot of that as I am running 4 CVR carbs for now. It makes tuning MUCH more straight forward when you can reference a plot ad see exactly what is going on and when after you return home and are sitting in the garage. Even if I ever did build another car with a dizzy and a carb I'd install MS for that reason alone!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Banned User

Last photo:

What is MS?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:02 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds View Post
What is MS?
MegaSquirt Its probably the best low buck option for fuel injection. You can buy a kit and assemble your own ECU or get one preassembled. There's a few different configurations but all of them can control fuel and spark and they can be adapted to use almost any sensor (GM sensors from a junkyard are the easiest to use).

The basic MS1 V2.2 is about the equivalent to a stock OBD II ecu from the mid 90's and the top of the line MS3 unit is better than most factory ecu's out today.

You can control everything from fuel to traction control and shift points with the proper modifications

It also uses a very friendly windows based program for tuning and can be tuned with any run of the mill computer. I use a Dell Inspiron 5000 to tune mine, which is less capable than my cell phone in many cases.

I like it for a few reasons-
Its cheap
Its easy
It can be adapted to almost any circumstance
It allows me to run EFI at a total investment that is less than a new carb, on the street in the midwest where weather can vary a lot day to day that is a HUGE advantage.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Last photo:

Thing is AP, I don't need that stuff. I can get it close enough for government work as is. Your further into the technology world and that's cool by me. I'll stick to the dinosaur age.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Thing is AP, I don't need that stuff. I can get it close enough for government work as is. Your further into the technology world and that's cool by me. I'll stick to the dinosaur age.
I wasnt interested in it at first either, but when you consider that it is often CHEAPER than a carb and is FAR quicker and easier to tune you have to start wondering. Additionally for basic use you only have like 14 wires to connect- IT'S NOT THAT COMPLICATED. Also, even if you don't control fuel or timing its great for tuning.

I'm not saying that everyone has to do it, but it is by far the best modification I have ever done to any vehicle.

You can get started with a used MS1 box off craigslist, a new db37 connector, 10 feet of 14 strand wire cable and 10' or shielded 2 wire cable, total investment is like $125 if you're super thrifty, still under $200 if you're not.

There's something nice about being able to significantly increase your mileage, reduce your need to fiddle with the tune every time the weather changes, and greatly reduce engine wear and oil contamination from a slightly off tune.

I'd also like to add that this is NOT the only option for EFI or datalogging, I just went this route because it appears to be the best value for your dollar and is idiot proof (idiot proof is very important when I pull out the wire strippers and soldering iron).

Even if you just buy one box and use it to datalog each car your build the only thing you would need is a new harness and junkyard sensors for each vehicle. (I bought a new O2 sensor for $20 just to be sure it was accurate as they can go south with high miles). I built the harness for my Bobcat for less than $20, sensors included.

I'll shut up about it now.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.