Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 350 Timing
Thread: 350 Timing
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 06:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 Timing

How many times have you guys been asked this? Well, I have read some pages and posts but I just don't know for sure.

Just got my jeep fixed. Had to replace the pick up coil and ignition module in the distributor. I did not do this myself because I just didn't have the time. When I picked up my jeep from the shop it ran but not like it use too!

When I got home it did not idle low enough to hear the mild cam. I adjusted the idle set screw 1/2 a turn and that did the trick. But it still didn't run like it use to although I did not expect that adjustment to make it run better, just like to hear the cam.

I noticed that when I would accelerate it would hesitate. Well a few months ago I checked the timing and it was set to 16deg. I thought that was awful low, piston position, but I left it alone. I decided to check it again since the parts were installed and figured the mechanic probably readjusted the timing. Yeap, the timing was reset to 4deg. Ouch! As I adjusted the timing back to 10deg, for a starting point, it idled up but still hesitated when accelerating. I adjusted it various placed but it didn't run right until I adjusted it back to 16deg. Thus I had to adjust the idle screw another 1/4 turn to get the lopping sound. Vacuum at idle is now about 10 psi.

My distributor is an Accel 71100E which is a high performance distributor with a hefty price tag!

So does 16deg sound right for a performance engine? It sure don't run right set at a lower number.

Engine insides are unknown but here is what I know,
Chevy 350 crate Casting #10066036
Stock heads - I think 993 8.5-1 but unknown pistons
Stamped rockers
Supposedly mild cam
Edlebrock carb and Intake Manifold

Last edited by Blue84JeepCJ7; 01-14-2010 at 07:08 PM.