Old 01-15-2010, 06:48 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue84JeepCJ7
The vacuum at idle, with lope, may be 8 1/2 instead of 10. With a 700-800 idle its more like 10. I will have to check it all again today and rite it down!
Be sure that the TOTAL timing (mechanical plus initial) is at or below 34-38 degrees so it doesn't detonate at WOT conditions in the upper rev range where it's hard to hear.

You can run more initial advance, up to the point that you have run-on when you shut the engine off, or hard starting due to the advanced timing. Just adhere to the (about) 36 degree total advance.

A good way to do it, is to set the total to, say, 36 degrees. Then see where the timing is at when idleing. If the timing at idle w/the total set to 36 degrees is below the 14 degrees BTDC that the engine likes, you will need to limit the total advance to a setting that will allow you to run the initial timing you need. On your Accel distributor this is a piece of cake to do, thankfully.

I would suggest running the vacuum advance from a full-time (manifold) vacuum source at the base of the carb.

You already know the drill for adjusting the idle mixture screws and setting the curb idle, so I'll skip all that.

If you don't have (or want to check the accuracy of) a dial back timing light, take a couple minutes and MAKE A TIMING TAPE.

If you have any doubt as to the accuracy of your timing marks on the tab and damper, the drill for DETERMINING TDC is also available.

Good luck, and that Jeep's a real looker!