Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 350 timing marks when replacing chain and gear
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 timing marks when replacing chain and gear

I know this has been covered, but it seems people have two different opinions.

Should the marks on the cam gear and crank face each other, or both be at 12 oclock? Summit says facing each other, other people say both at 12.

Back story.....

350 in a 85 Cutlass, from a 79 G20 van, bought car for my son, never ran quite right.

tried tuning it up, replaced points(don't know why they didn't leave the 85 HEI in), cap, rotor, plugs, wires etc, tried timing it. I kinda had to guess since the genius left the timing tab off when he put a chrome timing cover on it.

The vacuum advance hit the manifold, so I suspected the distributor a tooth off, so I pulled the dist and moved it a tooth, still wouldn't time, tried moving the plug wires over one place, still wouldn't time.

Finally got pissed, took the distributor out, took the valve cover off, took the plug out and put it on TDC, marked the timing cover, and the balancer and put the distributor back in, started it and tried timing it with a light and a vacuum guage. Still didn't run right.

So I figured, who knows what the van went through in its life, maybe a flat cam, or bad dist or timing chain jumped.

So I bought all new timing set, cam, lifters and HEI distributor.

Took the engine out and tore it apart and found what looks like the cam is a tooth off, the chain seems tight, so evidentally the timing chain may have been replaced before, PICS Below

So before I tore it apart, I thought I would clarify what position the marks should be. Right now they are facing each other (1tooth off) and I believe its on TDC on NO 1.

I rotated it in the firing order and watched 2, 1, 8 move, then went back to where the push rods on No 1 were both rotatable. NO IDEA WHY THE IMAGE OF THE MARKS WONT POST
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/s...psc4030f2b.jpg

Last edited by rp23g7; 08-04-2013 at 08:50 PM.