Hot Rod Forum banner

350 trans to a 57 chevy rear

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  57Waygone 
#1 ·
i am putting a 327 chevy with a 350 trans., in my 30 ford. it has a rear from a 57 chevy. we marked the tire and yoke to try to determine the ratio. when we spun the tire one revolution the yoke only turned about one and a half to one and three quarters times. there was a number 256 on the rear. what ratio do i have. will this be ok for my set up. i am not racing-just cruising local. thanks for any input!!! mike

#2 ·
Sounds like it's an open diff, if so, you'll have to let the tire spin two times while the other tire is on the ground or held still. It sounds like you're somewhere in the 3.00-3.36:1 range. :)

#3 ·
Hey Stray,

On the 57 rears the ratios are usually 3.55-3.73, but sometimes you'll find a 3.36.

If you pull the axles which aren't too hard and drop the diff out the front the numbers are on the end of the Pinion. Something like 37 - 11 which is 37/11 that division comes out to 3.36 and so on. You might be lucky and have it on the little round ratio tag attached to one of the mounting bolts on the upper driver side.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.