350 turbo trans problems,,, - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 12:29 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last journal entry: My new 55 chevy pretty sharp
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 turbo trans problems,,,

Hey guys quick question for ya im stuck,,, I have a 55 Chevy that i was running a jegs brand 350 turbo in until last week when it went bad,,, I took it back to jegs since it was only 5 months old and only had 60 miles on it,, and i upgraded to a TCI street fighter for a extra $200 bucks.... $850 for the Tci trans..

Well long story short i put the TCI trans in my car yesterday and go for my first spin just to find out that the [B]TCI trans i got isn't worth a crap[/B] in my eyes!!!!!

Ok first this trans is supposed to shift really hard and chirp gears and what not, but it does not at all... its kinda firm but thats it... Ok now for the biggest problem of all,, if i shift it manually it shifts threw the gears fine, But if i leave it in drive it takes of in 2nd gear from a red light or stop sign!!!! It goes from 2nd then when rpm's are up it shifts to 3rd just fine,, and it will down shift from 3rd to 2nd but it Never down shifts to 1st by it self?????? If i start off at the red light in drive and go about 10 foot or so then pull it down it 1st it goes right in,,,,
Before i pull this thing back out and take it to jegs and get another 1 does any body out there have any idea what is wrong with this thing?? thanks for any help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 07:20 AM

First, TCI dyno tests their transmissions before shipment. It didn't break in the box to Jegs.
The failure of the first trans left debris in the cooler circuit in your car. That debris has now become lodged in the governor and it is stuck. Manual shifting overrides governor control. Remove governor and get it serviced by a trans shop.
Try to remember that most of the trans companies that sell all over the country have been doing this for longer than you have been alive. Their tech support staff will help you. Bashing a manufacturer on the web is irresponsible and juvenile. Considering your particular problem, I fail to see any reason for negativity directed at TCI.
BTW, I do not work for TCI. Hardly.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 AM

350 turbo trans problem

If your jegs trans tore itself up when it expired,and it dumped metal throughout the system and you were not able to flush all of that metal out of your system, well that metal will be getting into your new trans.

If this is the case, the governor,on the left side rear of trans may be hanging up.

Remove the governor cover, pull the gov out and see if the valve is sticking.

This will cause wrong gear starts.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:46 AM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

also what stall converter you running and rear gear ratio?
I have the same tranny for years with reliable service from it.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:42 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazmac
First, TCI dyno tests their transmissions before shipment. It didn't break in the box to Jegs.
The failure of the first trans left debris in the cooler circuit in your car. That debris has now become lodged in the governor and it is stuck. Manual shifting overrides governor control. Remove governor and get it serviced by a trans shop.
Try to remember that most of the trans companies that sell all over the country have been doing this for longer than you have been alive. Their tech support staff will help you. Bashing a manufacturer on the web is irresponsible and juvenile. Considering your particular problem, I fail to see any reason for negativity directed at TCI.
BTW, I do not work for TCI. Hardly.
Just to let you know,, ya im mad at the tci trans because i got the bad 1 out of the bunch, ok it might be 1 out of a 100 that is bad,, but still i gave close to $1000 for a trans and it does not shift right....
I all ready called the guys at tci to see what they think, and i also took the governor out and cleaned it, (it wasn't dirty) and there is not any debris in the trans cooler or the stall converter because i replaced both of them new when i installed the trans......
the only reason i bought the tci is because of there good name in transmission's but i guess like i said i got the bad 1.....

Thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 AM
autoglass master tech

Last photo:

Is the tv cable hooked up and adjusted right?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

as mentioned a stuck governor will cause wrong gear starts.

Did you replace or flush the lines between the cooler and tranny?

Something as small or smaller than the thickness of a human hair can stick a valve in these trannys.

Call TCI , see what their program is for handling this.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:47 PM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

Tci said the gonver is bad or dorty buy i clened it out raelly goog??? so i dont know wha is coing on... yes it sounds weird starting out in 2nd but i fluched everthing and even bought a new stall.... so i dont know....... guss it just 1 out of 100 bad??? but we wil see what happens k...... thanks guys......
Old 04-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

you have cleaned the governor...... not that I doubt that.

The inner valve in the governor must move freely.

As you squeeze the weights together with the plastic gear in the "up" position as you hold the governor ...... the inner valve must move up & down freely.

This is the number one trouble with a t-350 and wrong gear start from a dead stop
Old 04-06-2007, 12:15 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
you have cleaned the governor...... not that I doubt that.

The inner valve in the governor must move freely.

As you squeeze the weights together with the plastic gear in the "up" position as you hold the governor ...... the inner valve must move up & down freely.

This is the number one trouble with a t-350 and wrong gear start from a dead stop

Hello........ yeap after i cleaned the governor the little round valve inside of it moved up and down really easy,,,, i figured that would of fixed it with no problem at all but,, i guess i just have bad luck lol thanks for the info guys.. i just went ahead and got another trans and it seems to be working just fine so far..... thanks again
Old 04-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresmoke55
Hello........ yeap after i cleaned the governor the little round valve inside of it moved up and down really easy,,,, i figured that would of fixed it with no problem at all but,, i guess i just have bad luck lol thanks for the info guys.. i just went ahead and got another trans and it seems to be working just fine so far..... thanks again

Kool........ glad you have a good unit now.

If only 1% of the tranys built have problems, those folks feel like the whole world has fallen on them.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.