350 turbo woes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2003, 06:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Red face 350 turbo woes

hello, I have a question about the 350 turbo I put in my blazer.

obviously this is not the right transmission for the truck. I'm using it as a go between until I can afford to have the 700r4 rebuilt, the transfer case isn't installed, and I've had it in the truck for about 3 months now.

Initially, and this goes back to when I had the transmission in another vehicle, I was having problems getting the tranny to shift into reverse at start-up. since the weather here in NYS has begun to get colder, the problem was becoming more severe day to day.
Thursday, after work I started the truck up, let it reach idle,
shifted into forward, babied into 2k RPM to get fluid pressure build-up, backed off and shifted into reverse and got nothing.
I eventually pushed it out of the parking spot, let it idle, checked the fluid level, which read almost non-existent. I proccured 2 quarts and filled to full on the stick. I then started up, checked all gears, and it seemed to be cured.
However, on my way home, shifts between 2nd & 3rd became erratic, there were some freightening sounds coming from down below, and it seemed as if I'd lost 3rd all together at one point.

I finally got home, investigated and found that the dipstick guide/holder was not seated properly. Not only that, there's a distinctively (yet light) grinding noise in the torque converter housing in both neutral and park.
I've remedied the stick guide, but I'm almost positive that it's pretty much useless due to some sort of serious damage.

My guess is that the torque converter is hurt or I've blown 3rd gear, I just don't understand what the noise is all about

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2003, 08:07 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Since the trans came from a different veh, does it have the tin convertor dust cover? If it does, it may be bent and touching the flywheel/flex plate. I have seen that many times. I believe that that veh should have had a heavy cover on it that has rods connected to it for support. If it has the light cover, try removing it and see if that stops the noise. The dip stick tube has an o-ring or seal on it at the bottom. Make sure that is not leaking. Low fluid could be causing the shift and delay problems. If the fluid is other than cherry red, you probably have more problems than that, and NO, changing the fluid and filter won't fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.