Old 10-03-2011, 12:04 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969chevyss
10 to 1 would be perfect. So next question is I know that vortec heads are 64ccc, so do I need to do anything special such as milling or porting to get the most out of them or just rebuild them with hyd rollers.
I'm not sure how to answer that, they are good flowing heads for a production piece, good up to maybe 450 HP w/o anything special in the way of porting.

The guide bosses will need attention or a specific spring and retainer used if the lift is much over about 0.460" or thereabouts. This needs to be checked to see where your particular heads are at for clearance between the retainer and seal.

The only reason for milling them will be if the surfaces are not flat or if you wanted to use 0.015" shim steel head gaskets, for example. The surface finish or texture needs to be near perfect as does the flatness to use shim gaskets successfully. Composite gaskets like you are going to be using will tolerate slightly more irregularities than will the steel shim gaskets. This goes for the block deck as well as the heads.

When you say "rebuild them w/hydraulic rollers", I'm not following you. Do you mean roller rockers? Or are you talking about a hydraulic roller cam?

The rockers need to be self aligning unless you install guide plates and screw in studs. Screw in studs are always a good idea, regardless if you use SA rockers or regular rockers and guide plates. Thing is, once you start doing all this to a set of production heads, the cost goes up quickly and before you know it, you are at the cost of an aftermarket head that will flow better and already has all these mods and tweaks already done, and will have thicker decks to boot.