Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 350 Vortec block
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Im still learning so all my info may be off a tad but i just built a vortec 350. Idk if youre looking to make a race engine, dd, or street strip motor but i did mine with the intention of it being a street strip motor with the help of lots of info from cobalt etc. After long nights trying to figure out what pistons to use to get around 9.5:1, i basically found nothing. I ended up buying a balanced rotating assembly for about $800 from skipwhite. It included probe forged pistons dished -12cc pistons, procomp hbeam rods, scat cast steel 9000 crank, hastings rings, king bearings, flexplate and after a little bickering a harmonic balancer also. The kit isnt intended for racing as it has a cast crank and procomp rods (good/bad) but it can certainly withstand some abuse and some trips to the strip and was alot cheaper then having my stock crank reground, finding pistons that would work, redoing and pressing out the wrist pins and then spending the $200 my shop quoted me for balancing. My heads ended up being 62cc after decking, i used a .024? head gasket, quench was somewhere around .048 i believe and that all landed me around 9.7:1 compression. good luck on your build man!