350 vortec heads? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 06:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 vortec heads?

i'm rebuilding my sbc 350 and i've seen alot of talk on vortec heads , i know if i went to the vortec heads i'd have to change my intake but are the push-rods the same rockers ect... just wondering i can't afford aluminum but vortec would be in my budget. thanx for you input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 07:14 AM

Last photo:

Rockers are different, self aligning type.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Do it right and you won't be disappointed. What are you looking to do, and what kind of budget? You get those two straight and you'll be in business.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:57 AM

buget

i.m just looking for a good running sbc if you check my treads you'll see what i'm doin ( i don't know how to drag it to this post ) all in all 300 hp but with longevity ,it's goin in my restored 71 c/10 that i pull my bike on a trailer with for vacations and such i just want to do it right the first time .
Old 06-21-2008, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdscooters
i.m just looking for a good running sbc if you check my treads you'll see what i'm doin ( i don't know how to drag it to this post ) all in all 300 hp but with longevity ,it's goin in my restored 71 c/10 that i pull my bike on a trailer with for vacations and such i just want to do it right the first time .
HD You'll love the Vortecs on your truck, that's what they were designed for & used on, 96-99 trucks. Great torqy head. Get them already machined for more lift. Good Price here + thicker castings. http://www.competitionproducts.com/p....asp?dept=1262

Last edited by SSedan64; 06-21-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Link & Info
Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Bore 0.030" over. Use these pistons for 9.0:1 with the Vortec heads. Use 400 wet sandpaper to smooth sharp edges on the crown and eliminate the possibility of hot spots that could contribute to detonation.
http://kb-silvolite.com/performance....tails&P_id=154
Cut block decks for 0.012" piston deck height. Use GM 10105117 head gaskets (0.028" compressed) for a squish of 0.040".

Use a cam something like this. It matches the 9.0 static compression ratio and can be used with a stock converter. The lift will be ok with stock Vortecs and based on the lobe separation angle of 112 degrees, it will make good manifold vacuum to operate power brakes. I would normally recommend a roller hydraulic, but it sounds like your funds are limited.
http://www.cranecams.com/?show=brows...tType=camshaft

Scoggin-Dickey Chevrolet offers a Vortec head kit with 12558060 heads assembled with valves and springs and includes head gaskets, head bolts, rocker arms, Edelbrock Performer intake (idle to 5,500 rpm's), intake gaskets and 12-point head bolts. Part #SD8060KIT.
http://www.sdparts.com/product/SD806...merIntake.aspx

GM HEI distributor curved for 20 degrees centrifugal advance, all in by 2,800 rpm's. Start with 12 degrees at the crank, increase to 14, then 16 as you determine results while operating the motor. Vortecs don't require as much advance as earlier chamber designs. Verify TDC at the damper ring during your build so you can time the motor with a light when done and know it's right. If in doubt about the validity of your damper, send it to one of these guys for a rebuild or purchase one of their rebuilt units.
http://members.aol.com/damperdoc/
http://www.damperdudes.net/

Stock-type oil pump. High pressure or high volume will not be necessary (or desirable) on this build. Use a modified distributor housing or a purpose-specific tool to prime the system before initial startup.
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=25140
Put 6 quarts of good quality oil in the pan and add 10 ounces of this to the oil. It has the ZDDP in it which has been eliminated from motor oils.
http://www.sfrcorp.com/product/9

600 cfm Edelbrock/AFB or 750 Quadrajet. The Quadrajet will give the best mileage and probably the best power also.

Good quality headers, 1 5/8" primary tube size with max 2 1/4" pipes and an "X" or "H" crossover before the mufflers and pipes all the way to the rear to prevent droning inside the cab.

That's how I would do it. Good power and the ability to operate on junk pump gas without detonation. Other board members may have alternate suggestions for you.

Last edited by techinspector1; 06-21-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:38 AM
boatbob2

vortec heads......

HI,i have a cross ram on a sbc,using 2 --500 cfm edelbrock carbs. if,i change to vortec heads,can this manifold be redrilled to match the new heads??
Old 06-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I've never done this, so have no direct experience with it, but have read that there are some sealing problems.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.