Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 350 vs 400
Thread: 350 vs 400
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 03:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question 350 vs 400

I have looked but haven't found a direct answer to this question and I hope I am not cluttering the board with something that has been discussed over and over.

I have an F1 running a 350 4-bolt with 881 heads w/ roller tip lifters and a "268" Comp Cam, 650 Holley Carb and behind it is a 350 Turbo trans and a 12 bolt GM rear end with the biggest (tallest) radials I could find. Sorry I don't have the rear end ratio or exact tire size.

I am currently going through the truck from the frame up. It will be a "daily driver" 10 miles round trip in town, 5 days a week. Weekend trips on the interstate. I am not interested in performance other than I want to be able to get on the interstate w/o getting run over and then cruise at 75-80 all day. MPG is of interest but being a realist, I know it's like wanting your cake and eat it too. The motor wasn't much on the low end, but I could cruise all day w/o a strain.

The motor is going to have to be rebuilt. Would I be better off with the CI's of a 400 set up the same way or would there not be that much difference? Someone has told me that I might get better performance and gas mileage by going with the torqueier 400.

Thanks