Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 350 vs 400
Thread: 350 vs 400
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004, 05:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by bullheimer
more cubic inches means worse milage. how in the world could a crate engine be less than a rebuild? at least you get a new crank, rods pistons etc. not like a crate is a bad idea tho.
I'm not exactly comparing apples to apples. Out of Nashville, I can get a new, not rebuilt 350, long block for about $1500. The machine shop that most swear by around here has quoted me a price of $2500 for rebuilding my 350. That price includes balancing and any work necessary such as head work, line boring, etc. That is just plain machine shop work, stock rebuild, no performance parts or blue-printing. 30 day warranty.

Most likely, the motor could get by with just a boring and new pistons, rods, but you know how that goes. When I bought it, the guy had had a crank kit put in and head work done . The motor should have been bored when he put in the kit, but hadn't. It ran good, didn't use excessive oil, but would develop a slight miss and foul a plug after a couple days of running. The motor probably has 10,000 miles on it.

In a discussion, a fellow told me with the 400, even with more CI, the added torque could keep the foot out of the carb increasing mpg and that was the only reason I considered it.