Hot Rod Forum banner

350 vs. 400 sbc

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Mr. P-Body 
#1 ·
planning on doing a 400 sbc swap in my caprice but i been hearing alot of bad stuff about it. Overheating, cracking, ect. Never had one personally and need to know is it worth it, or should i just go with a trusty ole 350. All info appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
If you use a GM stock block from the 70s then close inspection is required.I had 1 block failure.If you buy any modern block then build anything up to 472 with no worries,or 440 with a low block. Decide the purpose,then decide the best way for you to get there.figure out what you are willing to pay and what that will buy for you. wallet is the limit

#7 ·
Never assume anything. Pop the heads off and be sure or check the casting numbers.
Are you even sure it's a 400?
Again!
Casting number off back of block and the numbers on the front behind the altenator will help.
And you'll need a different flexplate if it is a 400.

#8 ·
Since this is a grocery getter and 400 will work fine. Most of the external parts will fit. Make sure the flex plate is a 400 type. I would not worry about overheating. The radiator sure handle it, because it's a low compression motor. Low RPM and Horsepower, High torque. There are Caprice out there with 400.
My cousin had a Caprice wagon with a 400 4 barrel Qjet. He had it for a long time and never had any problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.