350 weak link? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chris everyday I post here I remember a little of the things I(we) take for granted.I remember Richard Johnson took the slapper bars off his 56 and put on ladder bars.first pass no problem,second pass we thought his car was going to pirroette.
I assume everyone blue prints their engine,,, and other basics

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
Chris everyday I post here I remember a little of the things I(we) take for granted.I remember Richard Johnson took the slapper bars off his 56 and put on ladder bars.first pass no problem,second pass we thought his car was going to pirroette.
I assume everyone blue prints their engine,,, and other basics
I ran ladders in the 60s & 70s the hard case slicks of the early 60s were a far cry from the wrinkle walls a few years later with 10# of air it was a learning experience! when I switched to wrinkle walls

I take a lot for granted on the threads too!I assume peoples builds are planed and blueprinted for a time class and not just engines slapped in and lets take it and see what it runs Of course with bracket racing I guess
it doesn't mat.................!!!!

"Hey, George, that things a slug" LOL "that spider beat ya at 60 ft."

To any Georges out there I was kidding LOL

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 02-18-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
good luck and have fun. Paintedjester is a great guy,he will get the tunnel ram dialed in for ya.
we will all help you make that first 12 second pass.slapper bars will take you a long way. The subframe ties help the car hook and flex less.
We will need better headers in the future.Lets see how fast we can make the car go without digging deep into the engine.
run what ya got,make it safe,have fun.

later ask 1gary for and old warn out 631
Actually Vinnie the 632 looked good and got freshened up and sold off as did the back-up 565. We are always moving forward and a new deal that will be faster and smaller.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Gary:

At Detroit D.way I blew a Casler hard case slick in the 60s at 100 and flipped the car it was a Henry J with a Hilborn Red Ram no roll bar and I walked away!!!! LOL not even a scratch just a bruise on my shoulder and sore muscles Scared the hell out of me!!!!! It was like slow motion in the car!!! I was lucky it was a "J" it was like a basket ball and rolled like one!

I firmly believe in safety equipment even when rules don't say you have to have it!!!! Even on the street! Even though all of us don't get on it on our public highways LOL anything can happen Ask "Murphy"

Jester
The Following User Says Thank You to painted jester For This Useful Post:
vinniekq2 (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 12:47 PM

On the street Ive had u-joints let go and my drive shaft escaped.In my 65 Acadian 283, the pinion gear sheared off and my bact tires locked up around 40 mph,same car the hood opened while driving about the same speed.(this was my first performance car in high school)Ive had clutch disc failures,no damage done,thank you Lake Wood.R F tire came off my Acadian at 60 plus MPH,my fault,replaced front studs and never rechecked torque.
Learning the hard way especially when young is scary and dangerous.Im with a lot of people here,,,safety first,fast second, double check absolutely everything.
None of my events were ever as scary and a rolling J and I thank the fella up there looking out for me.
safety safety safety
Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Murphy Must ride shot gun with you Vinnie !!!! LOL

Jester
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 PM

Last photo:

on that motor

the weak link will be the nut behind the wheel
Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

They tell me I went over at a buck eighty.First hit,well really just before it,silence and I remember thinking for a second this is going to hurt and tighten up and tried to slump down in the cage.Then the body shatter and I was out in the open and the engine was flying.First hit was a huge bang and the second one was just as hard,then as I said lights out.To this day I don't recall anything else. Just as well,likely would have lost my nerve ending my drag race career.

Came out of it with a curved little pinky on my left hand for the rest of my life is all.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFastStripes View Post
Hey y'all. I've been lurking in the forums for a while now and just recently decided to ask my first question.

I have a 350 4 bolt block bored .060 over with cast crank and rods but with speed pro forged flat top pistons. Specs are the ff;

Double hump heads ported and polished with the big 2.02 valves
Weiand 1985 tunnel ram aluminum intake that's been port matched
Twin Holley 450 cfm carubretors
1.6 ratio rockers
MSD 6a box
Forgot the brand of the distributor but it has a magnetic pick up hooked up to a coil
Stainless steel headers
Summit Racing Camshaft, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 313/328, Lift .508/.533

This engine is in a 68 Chevy Camaro equipped with a Muncie 4 speed that I run on the street and race in the strip and a couple buddies of mine are telling me to get rid of the tunnel ram and replace it with a good single plane intake.

I shift at 6k rpm but I feel I still have some leeway to shift at 6.5k rpm. What do you guys think? Ditch the tunnel ram and go for a single plane intake or keep it? Do you guys see anything that's potentially killing my performance or is there a mismatch with my parts somewhere?

I'm doing 13.7 on the quarter with soft compound tires with no track bite.

Thanks.
What does this mean "......soft compound tires with no track bite." Does this mean you're running a race tire and can't get them to hook up?

Bogie

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.