350 won't start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013, 03:43 AM
Escaped from Funny Farm

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 won't start

I got a K5 Chevy Blazer, 1988. 350 bore'd out, an a rebuilt 700r4. Any who my brother drove it from Kansas to Alaska, an now i own it. Bummer is he say's he ran it out of gas, got it towed. And there is sat for a few months, I've tried to turn it over after a long charge on some jumper cables, It try's so hard( i get this yun..yun..yunn...) but I get nothing. I had my uncle over who knows more then I. He checked it out, pulled a wire off the spark plug shoved some screwdriver inside an said we had spark, then checked the battery, said we had enough power coming from it. Then figured since it was ran out of fuel I should change, inline fuel filter under the passenger side body. I get a small "whine" sometimes from the back, gas tank area when done trying to turn it over. Just to safe i figured I'd spray some starter fluid down the top TBI an see what I got. Just to bypass the tank in case the whine was a dying fuel pump. After I sprayed down the hatch, an try to start nothing!!! just mind blowing!! I recently read something on here about a person having to sawp out their fuel regulator on the TBI. Thought maybe this was giving me hell? I'm trying to figure this out cause I'm in Alaska an winter is close, and I've got a wife an child. I recently traded my other cars for some other crap car. I would really like to have this dependable 350 running cause it's ugly lawn art an I could use 4x4 way more!!, sorry for my ignorance on auto terms and know how. But i figure the only way i can learn is to ask, sorry for the essay thanks a ton for your help!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 05:12 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

These are the things you need for a engine to start.

Compression
spark
engine timing
and fuel.

If you've checked for spark...(screwdriver thing), I would assume that it has compression and timing (the engine is fairly new). The vehicle ran out of fuel, before it quit...first place I'd look is fuel pump. Spraying starter fluid in the throttle body isn't a good idea. You could disconnect the fuel line, turn the key to the on position and see if your getting fuel. I have a feeling that's where your going to find your problem. Seeing that you have replaced some fuel line...possibly the pump quit, they don't like running on empty.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
FrostbiteRodders (09-15-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Escaped from Funny Farm

Last photo:

Little spark, little hope

Can't seem to figure the issue, I took off inline fuel filter an turned key on. Got about cup and 1/2 of fuel in about 10 seconds. I put the inline back in place(arrow facing motor). And gave it another go. All the while hooked up to jumper cables as to have enough juice. I did the screwdriver thing again, gave it a turn an it seems like a maybe the spark is weak. It is sunny out, but that's all i can diagnose at this time! please help.... I really dig all the info i can get, I'd like to solve myself to A: save some money B: learn how to trouble shoot an work on my own rig. thanks again.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:26 PM

Did you check the fuel pressure. Some of them TBI systems run at a pretty high pressure.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

did you put gas in it since it ran out? j/k.....a cup and a half of fuel in ten seconds doesn't sound like very much. Has the vehicle been started since it was ran out of gas? the first thing you need to do is check fuel pressure. the best way to do this on a tbi system is install a tee fitting in the incoming fuel line. I would think if the regulator went bad you would get to much fuel rather than not enough. Is there any fuel being sprayed from the injectors at all?
The Following User Says Thank You to crussell85 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Escaped from Funny Farm

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 styline View Post
Did you check the fuel pressure. Some of them TBI systems run at a pretty high pressure.
Have not checked pressure of hand, I did pull the filter an turn the key, got a good amount in a short time. It was running at one time then ran out of petro, then i got it an began trying to bring the beast back. Would the fuel pressure have changed at all from then to now? Also would to much pressure not allow it to turn over? Big thanks!! hope to hear back!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Escaped from Funny Farm

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85 View Post
did you put gas in it since it ran out? j/k.....a cup and a half of fuel in ten seconds doesn't sound like very much. Has the vehicle been started since it was ran out of gas? the first thing you need to do is check fuel pressure. the best way to do this on a tbi system is install a tee fitting in the incoming fuel line. I would think if the regulator went bad you would get to much fuel rather than not enough. Is there any fuel being sprayed from the injectors at all?
Yeah there is fuel getting to the injectors(right one only at this time) was told right was used on start up then the left(left when facing motor from front bumper position) which is used for idling was dry. Where would I place the "T"? Big thanks for ur help, I'll take all i can get!!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

both injectors should work together. they both pulse at the same time together. If it only used one injector to start you would only be trying to start one side of the engine.

the t fitting would be installed somewhere in the engine bay that can be easily read while cracking the throttle to check if fuel pressure drops while the engine is running. Thinking about it though maybe you can find some fitting to install the t on the outlet of thee fuel filter to the fuel line then a piece of house from the t to the gauge so it can easily be seen from the drivers seat and you won't have to cut your fuel lines
Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

did you check spark on all 8 cylinders or just one? make sure you check for spark on the number one cylinder which is the drivers side front. stop using a screwdriver to check for spark. there are spark checking tools for around five bucks but I like to use a spark plug preferably new with the gap correctly set. the spark will take the last resistance path through the ignition system so if your gap from the screwdriver to whatever your jumping to is to large then it creates more resistance and may find another place to go, I.e: burn up a plug wire, cap, or rotor and then you have more issues.

the starting fluid is okay if your stuck on the side of the road in a snowstorm and your family is cold. But at home put some gas in a spritz bottle and spray that in the tbi. Still want to be careful doing this due to getting to much fuel in a cylinder and hydrolocking the engine and breaking the top piston ring. Not so common in gasoline engines but you can cause a diesel engine to become " addicted" to starting fluid like this because after you break the ring there might not be enough compression to cause the fuel to combust until it is running, so starting fluid is required from then on.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Escaped from Funny Farm

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85 View Post
both injectors should work together. they both pulse at the same time together. If it only used one injector to start you would only be trying to start one side of the engine.

the t fitting would be installed somewhere in the engine bay that can be easily read while cracking the throttle to check if fuel pressure drops while the engine is running. Thinking about it though maybe you can find some fitting to install the t on the outlet of thee fuel filter to the fuel line then a piece of house from the t to the gauge so it can easily be seen from the drivers seat and you won't have to cut your fuel lines
Does that mean my injectors are dirty? I got some aerosol injector cleaner I think. Should that be a fuel issue or some dirt an crud issue?

"the t on the outlet of thee fuel filter to the fuel line" sorry for my ignorance what does the three fuel filter mean? I know there is 2 right? one in the tank, on the pump an another under passenger seat side of body(inline)?

"then a piece of house from the t to the gauge so it can easily be seen from the drivers seat" I got some clear hose I can use, a good length but what gauge would it hook to? a pressure gauge to check fuel, like one from autozone or somthen?

Not sure if this would be do-able since I can't get motor to turn over, I can turn the key an hear stater trying but I get no combustion, or BANG. is this still a feasible test? Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions but without me asking I'll never learn. Big thanks again
Old 09-15-2013, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostbiteRodders View Post
Does that mean my injectors are dirty? I got some aerosol injector cleaner I think. Should that be a fuel issue or some dirt an crud issue?

"the t on the outlet of thee fuel filter to the fuel line" sorryoy for my ignorance what does the three fuel filter mean? I know there is 2 right? one in the tank, on the pump an another under passenger seat side of body(inline)?

"then a piece of house from the t to the gauge so it can easily be seen from the drivers seat" I got some clear hose I can use, a good length but what gauge would it hook to? a pressure gauge to check fuel, like one from autozone or somthen?

Not sure if this would be do-able since I can't get motor to turn over, I can turn the key an hear stater trying but I get no combustion, or BANG. is this still a feasible test? Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions but without me asking I'll never learn. Big thanks again
I threw an extra e on the. If you can find fittings to connect the fuel filter on the frame rail to a t fitting and then to the fuel line you won't have to cut fuel lines. Just go to auto zone (I prefer auto values and Napa stores you generally get answers when you ask questions) and tell them you need a fuel pressure gauge and a gauge port.

If the engine isn't rolling over nothing is going to help until you solve this problem. maybe you have a starter issue or maybe a battery issue so your not providing the proper voltage to the ecm to make it function properly which could be your injector issue
Old 09-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Escaped from Funny Farm

Last photo:

the spark plug I checked with screwdriver was #2. I for sure plan to check with extra plug, thanks for that bit there,Price less. Is Hydro lock a huge issue at this point? I have done some spraying inside the open tbi ports, hope i didn't go up a certain creek with no paddle.... I'll check for that gauge next time i run to town, maybe later today if I can. I'm going to triple check my wires with a volt reader thing when I can. this boggles me thanks a million for the help.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

I wouldn't be too concerned with the hydrolock thing, just stop with spraying into the tbi.

Pull your starter take it and have it tested at auto zone. Maybe buy a battery tender to charge the battery. it might take a day or two to charge the battery but it puts a really good charge to the battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to crussell85 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Escaped from Funny Farm

Last photo:

I shall stop spraying for sure, also will keep ya'll posted cross your fingers it's the starter or somthen..maybe tiny battery. thanks again
Old 09-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Escaped from Funny Farm

Last photo:

just pulled starter an I plan to take it in tomorrow, also i noticed some exposed wire going into the 2 injectors in the middle of TBI. Any thought to this being the culprit or nah? I'll post a pic in a few. thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.