Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 351 C in place of 351M
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 06:13 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
351C/351M/400 are in the "335" Series

370/429/460 are in the "385" Series

These are the "FT" Series...

The FMX was not introduced until 1968.
I stand corrected ... I do recall the "385" Series now that you mention it.

I hadn't ever heard of the "FT" designation, despite being in Ford parts for 13 years ... "shows to go you" that you can learn something new every day I really enjoy that aspect of posting and reading in this group.

What is your background? You seem to know an awful lot about the blue-oval stuff.

I still believe that the Cruise-O-Matic was the predecessor of the FMX, with minor differences in the valve body. It had the same aluminum bellhousing and a cast-iron case that attached with 4 bolts from the outside ... similar to a manual transmission.

They had "green dot" Drive which was intended for slippery conditions, basically "locking out" the kickdown, then the normal "Drive", and then "Low".

Manually shifting on these was kind of different. If you started in "L" and held it to about 60 MPH, and then "bumped" it back to "D", then quickly back to "L" it would stay in 2nd as long as you liked, then shifted back to "D" again for 3rd.

If you weren't quick enough, the trans would just skip right through 2nd and go to 3rd The budz used to love razzing me about being the "quick-shift" column guy. Thanks for making me look like a dork, Henry!