351 C in place of 351M - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 02:20 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorris1200

I just figured I'd add this. There has been multiple mention of big block vs. small block. This quote was taken from a site that covers most Ford engines pretty well.

To the best of my knowledge the bore spacing and head bolt pattern designates Windsors and Clevelands as 'small blocks'. Ford's other engine families do not share that same characteristic. Below is a link to where I got that particular quote from.
I think the FORD Small Block/Big Block argument is no longer valid as it once was. Back when... ...the small block was the 221/260/289 and the big block was the FE Series. Somewheres along the line, the 385 Series became known as the Big Block. There are now so many variations, that one series cannot be identified as such no longer.

Look at GM. How many engine variations did they have once you get away from the SBC/BBC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2005, 05:13 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
I think the FORD Small Block/Big Block argument is no longer valid as it once was. Back when... ...the small block was the 221/260/289 and the big block was the FE Series. Somewheres along the line, the 385 Series became known as the Big Block. There are now so many variations, that one series cannot be identified as such no longer.

Look at GM. How many engine variations did they have once you get away from the SBC/BBC?
True. It's easy to forget GM had Buick engines, Caddy engines, Olds engines, and Pontiac engines that were all different from one another. I always tell people it isn't all that hard you just need to learn some basics. The beauty of today compared to twenty years ago is the availability of information for free at the touch of a button over the internet. A simple search engine can uncover a wealth of info. As far as the BB/SB dilemma that has been a mystery for years for most people. I think I read somewhere that it wasn't even Ford that originally assigned the labels to there engines but builders/machinists that took the classifications from GM who started the whole BB/SB thing. Don't know personally but the cylinder bore spacing and head bolt pattern as mentioned on that web site makes sense to me. I remember years ago people arguing whether or not the Pontiac 400 was a small block or big block. Some felt 'BB' cause of it's cubic inches, others said it was neither cause Pontiac never had a SB or BB. I guess 'big block/small block' is less relevant than just making sure you have the right part match-up for any given application.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:52 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik

Also.... way back in # 3 I said that (quote) "GENERALLY SPEAKING the C is considered a small block....because of the way stuff bolts on."

because he was wanting an easy way to determine what would fit in the existing hole.
Duke and 1200,
Thanks, that is some great information. I never saw one of those blocks.

The M and C cranks and rods are not interchangeable, are they?
x
Old 09-30-2005, 10:56 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
The M and C cranks and rods are not interchangeable, are they?
x
The 351M and 400 both have 3.000" main journals, the 351C has 2.749" journals. The link I provided before shows the measurements for the Cleveland engines. It worth the time clicking on the links to all the different engine families and reading through, some good info.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:55 PM

swap 351M for 351C

Now basically I am rather lost in this thread, but I have the feeling that the engine will go into my car. However, I need a new tranny with a C4 bellhousing pattern and a new distributor. Am I correct on this assumtion?
Thanks
Chris
Old 09-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

you got mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiedrick
Now basically I am rather lost in this thread, but I have the feeling that the engine will go into my car. However, I need a new tranny with a C4 bellhousing pattern and a new distributor. Am I correct on this assumtion?
Thanks
Chris

you got mail

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.