351 Cleveland - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 AM
"Drive It Until It Breaks"

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

351 Cleveland

I have a question which I know is a matter of opinion and has been discussed millions of times, but just want to throw it out there.

There's a guy here locally trying to sale a 351C for $200. Not sure what the motor came out of because I have'nt seen the casting numbers yet. He did say the bearings needed replacing, and there maybe more problems. My thought is if the heads alone are good, they would be worth the $200. My question is does anyone think a 351C is something worth tucking away in the corner of the garage? I know that they're becoming hard to find around here. I actually thought about maybe even replacing my 302 with it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 AM

buying something you might use is never a good idea.Buy something to make profit is always a good idea.If the engine is hurt,ask if you can pull the heads and pan to assess damage
Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac88 View Post
I have a question which I know is a matter of opinion and has been discussed millions of times, but just want to throw it out there.

There's a guy here locally trying to sale a 351C for $200. Not sure what the motor came out of because I have'nt seen the casting numbers yet. He did say the bearings needed replacing, and there maybe more problems. My thought is if the heads alone are good, they would be worth the $200. My question is does anyone think a 351C is something worth tucking away in the corner of the garage? I know that they're becoming hard to find around here. I actually thought about maybe even replacing my 302 with it.
For 200 hundred bucks the heads alone will pay you back.

Bogie
Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:

Make him an offer of less money due to the fact the engine condtion is unkown.Maybe its got cracked head/heads,Possible block cracks or a crank and conn rods worn or damaged beyond repair.But i think it always a good idea to keep things around even if there s no immediate use for them.Lets assume the overall condition of the engine is 'good' meaning it can be rebuilt and there are no serious issues with components.You may never rebuild the engine or use it..but you should keep it around for possible trading for items that you CAN use.I dont run 351 clevelands..i hate them,I run 260-289-302 and 351W engines.I did run a cleveland about 20yrs ago it ran nice and didnt make any noise or burn oil,I bought it because i needed an engine and no small blacks were available.I payed $300 for a running engine.But when i found a 351W 2yrs later i yanked out the cleveland and installed the Windsor.But i kept the cleveland,stuck it in a corner of my garage.It sat for 22yrs. A month ago a fella showed up at my shop asking if i had any cleveland items.YUP! i told him i wanted $500 and that i can rig it up and start it so he can hear it run.He didnt want to pay cash,and had items to trade.Well i traded him the 351C for $100, a cast aluminum 4V intake for a 289 yes it came from a 66 shelby..a pair of hooker shorty headers brand new in the box for a 302 ford.And i also got an autolite 4100 4V with a $60 rebuild kit still in its box.It was a good trade..i got back $100 of the cash i spent way back in 87 or 88..and got the parts i needed without forking over a bunch of money
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:

Also...last week the same guy showed up at my shop again and handed me the dual point dizzy and the 'SHELBY powered by FORD' valve covers that came from the HI-PO 289 he used to have,It was where the intake came from as well,I sold the intake,dizzy and valve covers to local guy here thats hardcore itnto shelby mustangs.All added up i got $100 cash from the cleveland and another $400 from the parts i sold,I kept the autolite 4100 and rebuild kit to use on my convertible..So yes keep your parts if they are useful to somebody else..think of it this way...the cleveland is in your garage undercover..its not eating your food,drinking your beer or using electricity and clevelands are getting scarce.You may have to wait awhile to score or get your money back,But it could pay off to hold onto it

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.