351 Cleveland Harmonic Damper - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 10:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

351 Cleveland Harmonic Damper

If anyone happens to have a 351 Cleveland harmonic damper that is laying loose and not on an engine, I would like to know the overall length dimension of the damper. This would be measured through the bore in the middle of the damper and would be from the back end of the hub that goes onto the crank out to the front face of the damper where the pulleys bolt on. The dimension I am looking for is either going to be 3" (unlikely), 3-3/16" (also unlikely) 3-3/8" (possible), 3-7/8" (possible) or 4" (unlikely). Small block Ford dampers were made to one of these four lengths and I am having trouble pinning down the length of the 351 Cleveland.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

i measured 1 thats laying around & it is 3 1/2 inches total in width. hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:26 PM

Hmmm.....thanks. That's not a length that I know about. Guess I need to do some more research.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

thats the total length thru the bore of the dampner. sorry if thats not what your looking for..
if there is some other measurement you want , i`ll try to get it for you.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:07 PM

No, that's the dimension I am looking for but my info from Ford Motor company only listed the dimensions I had in my original post as the various small block Ford dampers. Are you sure it wasn't 3-3/8" which is very close to 3-1/2"?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:52 PM

Last photo:

i remeasured & the total length of the bore is 3 1/2 inches.

the pulley mounting surface is SET BACK from the edge of the bore.

so maybe you were given the correct dimension ?

Old 10-15-2004, 02:59 PM

If that setback is about an 1/8" of an inch, that would probably square with the dimension I am looking at. I got my dimensions from the hotshots at Ford Racing but that isn't necessarily a guarantee that they are right.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

If I may ask, What exactly are you trieing come up with. The Clevelands came with two type of balancers. 1: the Hi Po unit (used on the 4v and Boss engines) with a pie shaped balance weight on ithe inside ring of the unit. 2: the standard unit (used on 2v/351m/400 engines) with a the balance ring on the outside ring of the unit. All Cleveland engines are externaly balanced using the flywheel and balancer. If your building an engine the balancing shop needs both items, if the engine is already together without a balancer, Only the origonal balancer will be balanced properly. A better possibility would be to use a Fluid Balancer, if the balance isn't too far out, it should do the trick. Hope this helps some.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:37 PM

Actually my company makes a line of harmonic dampers. We make a basic unit that is made to the shortest length which is 3" and then have a series of spacers that allow this basic damper to be used on any small block Ford. The damper also has three sets of timing marks on it, both the three and four bolt accessory bolt patterns, and comes with a bolt-in counterweight that can either suit the early 28 oz. in. imbalance or the later 50 oz. in. imbalance.

One of the advantages to our particular approach is that an enthusiast can install a late 5.0 engine in an early vehicle, use our short 50 oz. in. damper and still bolt all his original stock 3-bolt pulleys to it and have everything line up correctly.

We have been successfully selling these dampers for several years and in fact the SB Ford is one of our more popular dampers. We know it will fit the 351 Cleveland. Ford Racing sells a similar design damper and also offers a series of spacers which is where we got the various thicknesses required.

What I am trying to do is come up with a chart for both my catalog and instruction booklet that lists which spacer you need to use depending upon which specific engine you have. We have the 351W, the 289/302 and the 5.0L covered but we are not sure specifically which spacer is used with the 351C or the 400M.

Ford does not do a very good job of directing customers to which spacer to use either so we can't get that information out of the Ford catalog. We get a lot of phone calls on this and I was hoping that if I could adequately document it in our instructions it would save customers from having to call us. And when it comes to the 351C and 400M we can't answer them anyway because we don't know.

We have good contacts at Ford since we make a couple of manifolds for them, so hopefully I can get this info from them.

Thanks for your input. I am fairly sure which spacer is the proper one for a 351C based on your info. You wouldn't happen to know the length dimension on a 400M would you?
Old 10-15-2004, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

I forgot the CJ has it's own balancer too. I'm looking in a 1974 factory engine service manual and they have a mesurement for everything Except the balancer. It figures! PAW shows the bore length as 3.380" for the 351C. Hope Ford comes thru for you.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:49 PM

I will have to see what PAW has listed. They sell my dampers. Their 3.380 dimension is mostly likely just rounded up from my 3.375 dimension. In any event that's only.005 difference which is insignificant. I presume the extra 1/8" you measured is the pilot ring that sticks out the front to center the pulley.

I just sent a fax off to one of my Ford contacts asking for the information so we will see what is forthcoming.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

PAWs mesurement does include the pilot ring.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.