351 questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 10:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

351 questions

Hey, i asked in my last post about putting a 351W in a pinto well i had some great responses to it and thanks to all of you who replied. Anyways i have a pinto and im looking to put a 351W in it well now that ive decided that im looking to go to the junkyard buy a 351W and bringing it home to rebuild it. Well while in the process of rebuilding it i want to make some mods. What would be some quick and inexpensive mods i could do to give it alot more horsepower? The 351W ive been told has like about 300 HP stock correct me if im wrong.. but yeah i will have about 1500 bucks to spend on just motor after i have the car and motor completely built, is there anyway i could get from 300 HP or the stock 351W engines HP to 400 HP off of just that. Thanks for your time,
Justin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

Re: 351 questions

my 351W made 162 hp stock, you're numbers off a bit
Old 02-05-2004, 10:24 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Windsors never really came from the factory with 300hp unless you are buying one from SVO Motorsports. $1500 isn't alot of money but you should be able to get 300hp with your budget. Alway remeber that a engine is a fancy air pump, the more air you feed it the more power you will get. Heads will be the factor in getting your hp, get a pair of GT 40 heads, a cam that matches these heads, forged flat top pistons and a good 4 barrel intake and you should make your 300-400 hp. Forget all of the fancy stuff roller rockers, double roller timing chains, stainless bolts, chrome etc.... If you get these basics and have good machining you will make the power without alot of $$$$$$. I hope this helps you a little bit.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:33 PM

Yeh i thought my calculations would be off but yeh most stock corvettes come with almost 300HP and they only have 350s i know they have stuff done but still oh well, but to the point the GT 40 Heads... whats the difference between GT 40 heads and GT 40p heads, will they make much difference. And also would a 302 Boss be a better motor to build and put into a pinto, i want the maximum amount of horsespower with like i said my minimum budget. Please give me your opiions on what i should do.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:46 PM

If you don't have a lot of bucks after your bottom end is built,not that its the best of em all,but I used to run the old small chamber 289 heads for a good bump in compression and put the 194 valves in them. They don't have big flow numbers,but they pull real nice with a good cam to 5500.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

The GT 40 heads were used on cars and have the standard Ford exhaust ports. The GT 40P heads were used on Explorers and have different exhaust ports, they require special headers/manifolds for use. What makes the GT 40 heads work so well is that they have the fast burn chambers, they don't flow much better than the E7TE heads but they do allow more complete burn of the fuel. There shouldn't be any difference between the GT40 and GT40p heads besides exhaust port configuration.

BTW if you are going to put a V8 in a Pinto you will need a transmission out of a 1974-78 Mustang II. If you do not use a transmission out of one of these cars, you will have to cut, fit and make a new transmission tunnel. The Mustang II with the 302 had a stepped down C4 case that made it possible to fit a V8 in this platform, in which your Pinto is based on the same one.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:51 PM

You might find it very hard to find a boss.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:54 PM

Yeah my dad had an old pinto wagon with a 302 boss in it, this thing was awesome. He also had a c4 transmission and thats what he told me i should get with mine. What would be better also for a car that i will hopefully get over 500 HP (the pinto) automatic or manual because my dad said all manual ones did with lots of torque and HP was spin. Also should i put street slicks on it or just put a wider version tire but not like huge? i want this car to be street legal also so what kind of exhaust system should i put in it?
Old 02-05-2004, 11:02 PM

Last photo:

If you want to apply the power more efficiently go with the automatic transmisson. I put a 4 speed behind my 289 and I have terrible wheel hop and spring wrap up, all I do is burn my tires through the first 3 gears in the 1/4 mile. I broke my rearend last summer because of this, I broke a tooth off of the pinion gear while I was doing a massive burnout. This totally fragged my rearend, now if I had a automatic trans I would have hooked up better and wouldn't have broken parts.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:02 AM

What type of exhaust system should i get, ive been told the full exhaust system is the best but what kind should i put on a 351W that will make it have the best performace? I know some about cars not all that much but basically i know what everything is in the engine and im learning now where everything goes but other than that im kinda lost on some of this stuff. Im thinking about goin to the junkyard this next week coming to see if i can get a good running 351W and rebuild it.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:16 AM
brains

Last photo:

Im a little confused, originaly you said you were making a drag car. If so, your not going to need full exhaust. If your making a street car- weekend drag then its hard to say what to buy unless we know your exact motor. No one is going to be able to tell you what exhaust to run and be right. In most cases fast street cars are from someone who takes the time to match all the components together. Your exhaust length and size is all going to depend on your cam, heads, rpm, stoke 351, 393, 408, 418, 427 ect.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:49 AM

ah ic thanks lol, yeah at first i just want my car to be a street legal drag car and as i get more money im going to go towards turning it into a drag car. When i get the motor and the car and everything put together and running then i will tell you the exact stuff and then hopefully you can help me . I want my car to run a good 5 sec. on 1/8 with bottle, cause my uncle has a drag car old 85 mustang with 351 windsor but he has modified it so much that its got over 1000 HP and it flys but hes put over 20grand in it eventually i will want me car to be like his but thats in the future now im just wanting to have a car that i can pull up beside a corvette or a camaro ss and dust him just to make him say man i got smoked by a pinto . Well ill let you guys know and post more stuff as i get the stuff, also what type of cam would go with GT 40 heads?
Old 02-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

First thing to remember is HP cost $$$$ and then some more $$$$. A pinto with a 302 will scoot. I don't know about a 10 sec. quarter mile car but fast enough to To knot your sphinctrer! Build what you drive and drive it like you stole it at the track of course!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:03 AM
brains

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by jus102004
in the future now im just wanting to have a car that i can pull up beside a corvette or a camaro ss and dust him just to make him say man i got smoked by a pinto .

I couldnt have said it better myself.

With that type of a purpose I just may have to donate some good race parts I have
Old 02-06-2004, 11:37 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:

Arrow

If you are planning on upgrading an early PINTO to a V8, there are many factors you need to consider before starting with the engine. First is the fit of the engine in the engine compartment;

The cooling module has to be extended beyond the core support. You might want to consider finding a later SN-95 FEAD and MARK VIII cooling module to gain some inches here.

If the car is pre 1974, you might want to consider also upgrading the suspension to 1974 and using GRANADA rotors to get the thing stopped. You have to find a suitable 9" rear also.

As mentioned, you will need a MUST II C4 bellhousing and flexplate. Maybe a later C4 main case for durability.

There are (were) kits available (including custom headers) to make the swap easier. Before spending your money on power, you need to sit down a make a donor yard list and get some idea of the cost(s) involved.

It will need at the least subframe connectors, if not a partial cage.

[color=yellow]Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (Merc-Edsel-Linc-TBird) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools[/color]

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.