351 windsor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

351 windsor

need help my block casting #'s are D4AE-6015-AA1 can anyone tell me about this block is it a good build.I want to put a cam,roller rockers,intake and a carb.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfordtrucker
need help my block casting #'s are D4AE-6015-AA1 can anyone tell me about this block is it a good build.I want to put a cam,roller rockers,intake and a carb.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, good.
It is the taller deck block, an additional .020 but that is OK.
If you have the heads with the fat spark plugs, they are essentially the same as the 69-70 heads, and the GT-40 heads, port/valve wise.

Original heads have hard seats for lowlead fuel, but won't stand more than .470 lift without work. Stock rockers will be fine. Stick to a cam of 214/224 max duration and good cheap headers. Be sure and use a 70 or earlier timing gear set if you go stock, or a 3 key way aftermarket. Dual plane intake and 600 Edelbrock carb or vacuum secondary. No double pumpers.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

my 351W heads

the heads for this 351W not sure they say 351W on them but a friend gave them to me they have been port, polished and die checked all good.they have a pressed in studs but the threads are 5/16" fine threads so it is hard to find the roller rockers i need. A lot of people say ford never made such heads but i have them.can anyone help me with this.?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
the heads for this 351W not sure they say 351W on them but a friend gave them to me they have been port, polished and die checked all good.they have a pressed in studs but the threads are 5/16" fine threads so it is hard to find the roller rockers i need. A lot of people say ford never made such heads but i have them.can anyone help me with this.?

That is the studs for the non adjustable valve train. The balls lock down all the way to the stud shoulder when tightened. There are some aftermarket balls that allow you to make them adjustable, the balls have a bigger hole in the bottom side but still fit the small stud top. These shoulder studs were the standard thing on 302/W in the 70s, until they went to the individual pedestal mounts like the later 5.0s have.

Good luck finding any roller rockers.

The key to having the bigger port heads is the fat spark plugs. The smaller plug heads are virtually the same ports as the 302 except for head bolt hole sizes.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

They do have the big spark plugs, how do i find out what year the heads are? someone told me to try pro mustang performance, ever heard of this place.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:01 AM

look on the bottom side of the heads there will be a code there D0-C9, something like that. that will be a start.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:05 AM

Last photo:

ok

do I have to pull the heads off of the engine or can I get the code with the heads on?
Old 06-10-2008, 05:31 AM

Last photo:

Yep it's a FORD, codes on bottom of head. Brilliant design.
http://www.classicmustang.com/casting_numbers.htm
Old 06-10-2008, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

ok building the 351 windsor

This is what I have in 1974, 351 windsor
cam
lift Intake@cam2847 @valve 456
Exhaust@cam3027@valve484
rocker arm ratio 1.6
cam timming:tappet@.004
lift: open closes adv duration
intake 19BTDC 61ABDC 260DEG
exhaust 69BBDC 23ATDC 272DEG
CAM TIMMING:TAPPET@.050
open closes MAX LIFT DURATION
intake (5)ATDC 29ABDC 107 204DEG
exhaus 45BBDC (9)BTDC 117 216DEG

CRAN CAM SPRINGS
SPRING O.D.:1.440" SINGLE SPRING
MAX NET LIFT W/.060" CLEARENCE:0.560"
SEAT PRESSURE 98LBS@1.700"SEAT,260LBS@1.200" OPEN
COIL BIND@1.080"
RATE(LBS/IN) 328LBS/IN

CLOYES BILLET TRUE ROLLER 3 WAY SPEED SET

FLOW KOOLER HIGH VOLUME WATER PUMP

HEADMAN SHORTY HEADERS 1-1/2" DIA PIPE

TORKER 2 HIGHRISE INTAKE

750CFM HOLLEY

I HAVE IT ADVANCED 2DEG AT THE CRANKSHAFTAND ON MY TIMMING LIGHT IT IS ADVANCED 26DEG. I NEED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD USE A 1.6 OR A 1.7 ROCKER? I HAVE STOCK ROCKERS NOW. THE MOTOR WAS JUST REBUILT AND I PUT IT IN A 1977 F-250 I'AM LOOKING TO GET MORE OUT OF IT WITH OUT GOING BROKE. CAN ANYONE HELP?
Old 06-15-2008, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

Ignore the people who bad mouth Fords.

First, you already have the heads, so whatever they are, they are.
Realistically they are too small for a 302, and minimal for a W, even with big valves and porting. There is no reason to think this engine will be a terror above 5000 rpm.
They will be cast with 351 or 302 somewhere between the rocker studs. On the lifter valley side of the heads there will be a cast in number like C9AE, D0AE, D4AE, etc, that will tell you what year.
Since the heads are already machined and installed, I must conclude that they will support additional valve lift beyond stock. I am not sure why the pressed-in shoulder studs were retained since the heads have been worked. Their working limit is about 260# maximum. I suggest you pin them to prevent pulling out. You should look into the adjustable balls and polylocks so you can properly set your preload.

Second, the cam seems ok for a decent street engine, only 42* overlap. The cam recommends 3 degrees advance, so I recommend that you set it at 5-6* advance because the timing chain will stretch and wear soon.

Third, the valve spring pressure is probably ok, but personally I would set it to 110 on the seat, if the open pressure does not exceed 280. This will be mandatory if you install a larger cam or longer rocker arms to control the faster valves. Personally I would stay with stock rockers up to .500 lift. Little power benefit will be gained from expensive rollers.

Fourth, IMO opinion the Torquer 2 intake is a mismatch. I recommend a dual plane Performer, or Performer RPM, or Weiand. Either will significantly out perform the Torquer across the board.

Fifth, I would hope that your carb is a vacuum secondary or air valve secondary. A 750 might be ok, but if it were me, I would try a 600.

Sixth, long tube headers would benefit the lower and mid-range probably 20 lb/ft. Proper header extensions and system will make additional power.

Ignition timing will require about 35-37* at about 3000 rpm, with coordinated vacuum advance.

If you want more zip without breaking the bank, I would do this, in this order,

1) mandatory cold air intake
2) long tube headers and collector extensions, exhaust system
3) dual plane intake manifold
4) proper ignition set up
5) CompCams 4x4 or truck cam

SF
Old 06-20-2008, 07:47 AM

Last photo:

hey thanks for the tips

on the timing for the crank shaft you said 3* to 5* adv. but on the lower gear at the timing chain it only has 3 settings on is 2* adv. center and 2* RETARD. so what schould i do? And i plan on getting another intake thanks for the info hope you can still help me
Old 06-21-2008, 05:54 AM
I we Todd did.

I work at Thompson Performance Racing and we have a set of roller rockers that we going on a 351W until we pulled them out of storage and discovered they were 5/16". If you are interested... go to thompsonperformanceracing.com and send Matt a note. Probably be a good deal. He can get you the exact specs and maybe some advice if you are still working out the details on your engine.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
on the timing for the crank shaft you said 3* to 5* adv. but on the lower gear at the timing chain it only has 3 settings on is 2* adv. center and 2* RETARD. so what schould i do? And i plan on getting another intake thanks for the info hope you can still help me
I apologize, I made a mis-statement.

The cam specs you gave require a 5* advance.
I recommend installing it with an additional 2* advance to compensate for chain stretch and wear which will occur quickly when "seating in".

It is up to you to degree-in the camshaft to the recommended amount.
If the gear is not set up for it, then you must get another gear.

edit
If you are not going to degree-in the cam,
I would suggest you check with the cam manufacturer and find out if the 5* advance is ground into the cam, and then install it with an additional 2* advance,

and then hope for the best. That is what 96% of the hotrodders do.

Last edited by ScoTFrenzel; 06-21-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

Thanks

I appreciate all the help yall have given me and i plan on using it.I also will send a note to that Thompson performance racing to see if I can get those rockers. THANKS A LOT

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.