351c Buildup help. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 06:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

351c Buildup help.

Alright, where to begin... I bought a 68' Cougar and I'm in the process of restoring it. I'm done rebuilding the carb, which was a 570cfm holley 4150 street avenger. Not sure how old. Gave it a nice polish job. Had 54 and 64 jets in it respectively. The engine has a 360 Offenhauser dual plane mani.

The guy I bought the car off from told me the engine had been magnafluxed and hot tanked, bored .030. Has an aftermarket cam and pistons. He doesnt remember any other specs. I am going to disassemble it, get it hot tanked again and mag it so im sure that im not building on a bad core. What I want to do is snag some 4 barrel quenched heads 70-71 (if you have some let me know, unless you'd suggest aluminum aftermarket with heart shaped dishes) put ferrea s 6000 vales in em and do the port/polish machine work myself and stroke the motor to 393. Replace the dual plane mani with a single, perhaps edlebrock torker and a 650-750cfm 4 barrel demon carb if my holley can't back up what I want. I'm thinking of going with a custom grind, Isky can do that for me but I need numbers. The specs are along with the 393 at #2 on the list. I'm tempted to stick a supercharger on it (I'd love to go with wipple but 5 grand and it seems they only like GM/Chevy motors.)

I am aiming for an automatic. What I want out of the car?

0 to 60 in 5 seconds or less.
Quarter mile in mid 13s but no faster than 10s.
Power in the 2,500 to 3,500 rpm and peak at 6,500
Anything above 400 at the wheels and I'm happy but I'd like to keep it below 650

For the cam grind I'm -thinking- .500-.600 lift .520-.630 exhaust. 200*-250* intake/210*-265* exhaust @ .050. 105 to 110 LSA and intake ground at 105 to 108 centerline. It's a very vague estimate from what little I've learned. Like I said I need help here haha..

1 7/8th headers are suggested on a different forum with exhaust pipes at 2.5

Uhm.. I'm sure i'm missing a lot like rockers, rods, cranks, pistons but I'm hoping you guys will fill me in on that and I'll learn something in the process. I was thinking of a di****ype piston. Okey dokey... here goes!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.