Hot Rod Forum banner

351m Stroker Kit?

27K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  pmeisel 
#1 ·
I have a 1979 Ford Ranchero with a 351m

Im looking overhaul this, and install a stroker kit but im having a hard time finding one for it. Ive seen alot of 351c stroker kits.

Would this work? and where would you get one from?

#3 ·
351w

RenoValron said:
I have a 1979 Ford Ranchero with a 351m

Im looking overhaul this, and install a stroker kit but im having a hard time finding one for it. Ive seen alot of 351c stroker kits.

Would this work? and where would you get one from?
ive always been told that windsor blocks are good but heads are junk and modified heads are good but blocks junk....Get a 351W and bore it .30 and stroke it to about a 393 and then put the 351M heads on it....we have one in our 78 mustang and its pretty awesome...just a suggustion though..

#12 ·
The 351M is actually a 400 block with 400 rods a 351W crank and special 351M pistons. The 351M is kind of a hodge podge of parts slapped together. Technically the 351M and 400 are apart of the 335 series of engines, this includes the 351C, they are neither small blocks or big blocks. As for stroking a 351M the easiest way would be to find a 400 crank and buy new 400 pistons.

#14 ·
truehawk said:
actualy you are all wrong exept for that one guy...the 351M has 351C heads a 400 block 400 crank 400 pistons a single plain intake. and there is one kit that can modify the 351M to a 383 but unfortunitly i cant remember who makes it.
:pain:

How hard is to understand the 335 Series Engine Family?

Why spend money on a crank kit when FORD has already done the work for you?

#15 ·
I guess it is kind of difficult to understand the 335 series of Ford engines. I personally stay away from them these days. I use to be a big 351C fan but finding a good builder is kind of tough and parts are expensive. The 400 in my truck has been replaced with a 460 and I could not be any happier. The 351M can be easily stroked to a 400 by using a 400 crank and pistons. The 400 cranks use to be in demand when the first 351W were being stroked. They would take a 400 crank and use Chrysler 360 rods and special piston and make a 427. The 351M did use a 351W crank in it, it might have different casting numbers but it is still a 351W crank.

#16 ·
I really like to do things differently but for the life of me, don't understand why anyone would want to start at 'square one' with an engine that has been long out of production, has never had many after market parts available and those that are available, are very expensive. A stock or near stock 460 will provide you with loads of torque, parts are easily available and somewhat reasonable. My second choice would be my favorite, the 351W(I have 2 spare blocks). With little problem 355 to 408CID is possible, and with a few bucks more, up to 435CID with a Coast kit. Or for even more $$, a Roush 427 SBF :drool: .

Dave

#17 ·
Irelands child said:
I really like to do things differently but for the life of me, don't understand why anyone would want to start at 'square one' with an engine that has been long out of production, has never had many after market parts available and those that are available, are very expensive. A stock or near stock 460 will provide you with loads of torque, parts are easily available and somewhat reasonable. My second choice would be my favorite, the 351W(I have 2 spare blocks). With little problem 355 to 408CID is possible, and with a few bucks more, up to 435CID with a Coast kit. Or for even more $$, a Roush 427 SBF :drool: .

Dave
Yup. A 400 or 351M is ok if you are leaving it pretty much alone, especially in a truck or an original installation --- but if you are going to do much to it another engine is easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.