Hot Rod Forum banner

351w O.E.M. parts swap

3K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  KULTULZ 
#1 ·
i race in a stock car class that doesn't allow aftermarket parts what parts can i swap on to a 351w from another ford motor to make it really run. We are not allowed to build a stroker,and stock heads.i was thinking of using 351c heads and a r.v. cam for a 351w.

#3 ·
351w O.E.M. swap

i don't have to keep the winsor intake as long as the intake i use is for a 351 i'm alright in the rule book. no modification to heads like porting,i can change valve springs and i have to use a soild cam and valve train. in some parts of the us they call this class hobby stock or pure stocks.

#4 ·
(IMO)

A set of CLV 2V heads will give you the breathing it needs. I am assuming you must keep a 351W iron intake? Any era iron intake or does it have to date code for the year of the chassis?

Below is a source of intake adaptor for the CLV heads;

http://www.pricemotorsport.com/html/body_ap-16__intake_adapter_kit.html

You are basically building a CLEVOR. There will be plenty of info here and on the net describing the needed modifications.

Is there a rule book for this class on the net or does this just vary by location?

How far are you from Hagerstown, MD.?

#6 ·
ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS for XTREME STOCK CARS:

1. ENGINES PERMITTED: Engines limited to 365 cubic inches and must be in the chassis originally catalogues by
manufacturer. All factory identification numbers and/or part numbers must remain on crank and heads. The
combination of the rods, block and crankshaft used must be in the same combination that factory originally manufactured (i.e. Chevrolet components only with Chevrolet components and Ford components only with Ford
components).

All factory identification numbers and/or part numbers must remain on crank and heads and be visible.

The use of titanium for rods, rod caps, crankshafts or headers is strictly prohibited. It is highly recommended to use a #12AN
fitting or one inch plug in the oil pan for inspection purposes. If there is not one, the oil pan must be removed for inspection.

Needle bearing camshafts, crankshafts and rod bearings are not permitted.

2. ENGINE BLOCK: The engine block must be a OEM standard production block. No aluminum blocks. Only two-(2) valves
per spark plug are permitted. Double overhead cams are permitted. Turbine-driven, big blocks, turbos, blowers, superchargersor offset engines are not permitted. Computer operated or controlled parts are not permitted. Main bearing cap must be iron or steel. The lifter bore must remain stock.

3. INTAKE MANIFOLD: High performance or aluminum intakes are not permitted. Marine-type intakes are not permitted.

4. CYLINDER HEADS: No high performance heads are permitted. Heads must include OEM casting marks. Double humpheads are permitted. No porting, polishing or grinding is permitted. Rocker arm studs may be pinned. Screw -in studs are permitted. Stock rocker arms only are permitted. Roller rockers are not permitted.

a) All heads must have a minimum 60cc. The “cc” measurement of the intake runner of head must remain stock with the exception of matching port.

b) Unless otherwise stated, any cylinder head with evidence of sanding, polishing, relieving, grinding, porting, angle milling, chemical treating, abrasive blasting to the original cast form, will be declared illegal and penalized. O-ringing the head gasket seal area is not permitted.

c) Combustion Chamber: The combustion chamber may not be altered in anyway.

6. VALVES: Only steel or stainless OEM stock valve or aftermarket OEM production replacement valves are permitted. Any spring, any retainer permitted. Only stock valve guide angle is permitted. Relocating valve guides is not permitted.

7. PISTONS & RINGS: Only flat top pistons are permitted with all three piston rings in place. Zero deck piston may not extendabove the block. The ring lances and lowers part (skirt) of the piston may not be altered from the original in any way. Gasporting the piston is not permitted. Floating wrist pins are permitted. Valve reliefs may be cut into the pistons.

8. FLYWHEELS: Stock flywheels and flexplates only are permitted. No lightening is permitted. The flywheel must weigh a minimum of 23.0 lbs. (no exceptions).

9. CRANKSHAFT: The crankshaft must be an OEM factory production. Aftermarket crankshafts are not permitted.

a) Polishing of any kind is not permitted. One throw on the crank must have no balancing holes in it. The minimum weight of the crankshaft must be 46 lbs.

b) Stroke: The stroke must remain OEM stock as currently delivered by OEM with the exception that it may turned a maximum of .040” under.

c) Harmonic Balancer: Aftermarket OEM stock “type” harmonic balancers are permitted.

10. RODS: An OEM production rod with OEM specifications from a engine used is permitted. The modification of rod length is prohibited. Rods may not be polished. No addition or removal of metal other than normal balancing is permitted.

11. CAMSHAFTS: Any hydraulic flat tappet camshaft is permitted. No roller, solid lift, mushroom or “slapper-type” cams. The vaccuum pressure may not be less than 14.00 inches at 1000 RPM before or after the race (no tolerance). No
adjustments will be permitted during inspection. The official reading will be taken from the track gauge only.

Cam Bearings: Must remain as “stock” Babbitt type. Roller bearings are not permitted.

12. CARBURETORS: Only an OEM stock carburetor or OEM replacement may be used. No dual line double pumpers
permitted.
The permissable use of CLV heads is not given here (I don't see it), it only states the ID (casting marks) be visable. This to me means they are comparing the engine parts directly to the year of the car.

What year car are you building? Have you seen other modified 351's in the pits?

#7 ·
351w O.E.M. PARTS SWAP

The Rule Were Basically Written For Those Chevy Guys. There Is One Car A 95 Mustang That Is Running A 351w,but He's Not Giving Any Secrets Away. The Track Owner Allows Guys Runnin Fords To Use Any Ford Motor Under The Cid Limit. As Long As We Follow The Other Rules. Thats Why I'm Trying To Figure What I Can Swap And Make The Motor Perform Better.

#10 ·
your rules are very vague (like most)

ask if these heads are legal...they are stamped Ford and have a Ford part # and are reasonable $$$...."but"...were never offered on a normal car....

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294889096+4294867081+400070+115&autoview=sku

they are the most "fair way" to compete with the Chevy heads...

fair chance, the other car has F150 "Lightning" Gt heads...better than 302 heads but not enough to pass a chevy

the "clevor" build IS the Mustang Boss 302 OEM build so it "should be" totally within the rules and is one hell of a motor for 6500rpms power

#11 ·
plan B is $$$$ but most sanctioning rules bodies do have a "sealed crate motor" rule ....if yours does, then this is an option

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9281

and/or ask if FRPP heads are allowed (they are "Ford" parts available from a dealer)

ps: you don't want a "RV" (4000rpm hp peak) cam which is for more low end TQ....you want a 6,000rpm hp peak cam if you use better heads

#12 ·
351w O.e.m. Parts Swap

it's a wonder what kind of info a 5th of jim beam can get you. the mustang i was talking about is running a 351w stock. he told me he is getting aussie heads for a 351w. the track said that i can run the clevor because it still uses 351 heads,do you know the ford part number for the 6500rpm cam. I also need a factory 4 barrel intake and carb. thanks for your help .

#13 · (Edited)
borntorace80 said:
he is getting aussie heads for a 351w. the track said that i can run the clevor because it still uses 351 heads,do you know the ford part number for the 6500rpm cam. I also need a factory 4 barrel intake and carb. thanks for your help.
OK....

You can run CLV heads. What is the length of the track?

What you will be building is commonly known as a CLEVOR, and there should be plenty of information here on the KNOWLEDGE BASE and on the net.

3. INTAKE MANIFOLD: High performance or aluminum intakes are not permitted. Marine-type intakes are not permitted.
The above is also confusing. Are they referring only to aftermarket and OEM aluminum intake? This will also preclude the specialty intakes once made to allow an easy CLEVOR conversion.

This product will allow a 351W intake to the heads (AP-16);

http://www.pricemotorsport.com/html/body_ap-16__intake_adapter_kit.html

This will show all adaptors available;

http://www.pricemotorsport.com/html/body_intake_adapters.html

I think you will have to run an early (69/70) 351W cast iron 4V intake on the 2V heads. The 351C 4V intake runners are too large for the 2V heads.

11. CAMSHAFTS: Any hydraulic flat tappet camshaft is permitted. No roller, solid lift, mushroom or “slapper-type” cams. The vaccuum pressure may not be less than 14.00 inches at 1000 RPM before or after the race (no tolerance). No
adjustments will be permitted during inspection. The official reading will be taken from the track gauge only.
You need to speak with COMP and/or CRANE as to cam and valvetrain.

9. CRANKSHAFT: The crankshaft must be an OEM factory production
:D

You can substitute a CLV crank for the W and greatly increase bearing speed. There is a main brng spacer kit to accomplish this.

Your 84 STANG (5.0 HO) came with a 4180C 4160 HOLLEY (600CFM) so that gets you around the MOTORCRAFT 4300 Series.

Are you familiar with the Aussie 2V heads?

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
flow #'s for the $399 N351 heads (my "reasonable price" link) are at the bottem of this page

http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/flowdata/castiron.htm

if you go the clevor route, you will also need to find a set of cast Cleveland exhaust manifolds, your rules say "no headers"....and clv stock exhaust manifolds "ain't great" for high rpm flow...see attached

the REALLY good OEM aussie Ford heads are roughly $1200 a pair...aluminum 4V and high ports....gets to be:"who ever has the deepest pockets wins"

if you stay with a 351W, I would ask if OEM factory stock "shorty tubes" manifolds (aka 5.0 tubes) are legal.....then.... "hope" the chevy guys don't swap to vette shorties which do help the 350

comment:
most local track rules are 350 chevy based....reason is.....to keep car build and maintenance costs to a minimum and affordable so more cars will compete......the race purse money doesn't even come close to paying the total costs to campaign a car......

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
red65mustang said:
...the REALLY good OEM aussie Ford heads are roughly $1200 a pair...aluminum 4V and high ports....gets to be:"who ever has the deepest pockets wins"
Those are against class rules.

if you stay with a 351W, I would ask if OEM factory stock "shorty tubes" manifolds (aka 5.0 tubes) are legal.....then.... "hope" the chevy guys don't swap to vette shorties which do help the 350
It seems they are not differentiating between engine families or origional cubic inch size. A set of 5.0L shorties could be modified fairly easily to fit the CLV head. It all depends on how far you want to stretch the rules.

comment:

...most local track rules are 350 chevy based....reason is.....to keep car build and maintenance costs to a minimum and affordable so more cars will compete......the race purse money doesn't even come close to paying the total costs to campaign a car......
Agreed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.