Hot Rod Forum banner

351w question

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RippinRon 
#1 ·
i got a 351w for my truck, it curently has a 351m in it , but i want to put the 351w in with a c6 trany in the truck (i perfer a small block). I was told that i can put the cam out of the 351m in the 351w and it would make better horse power. Then i was gonna put heads of a 302 on the 351w for smaller chambers for more compretion. in a way trying to make a stocker. Does this make sence is it even worth trying it? i have all the parts and i wanna see it it would make a good motor. and if it works then ill build one with new parts. And if it sound possible what push rods should i put in it? some advice would be great just wannna build a cheap motor for my truck.

#2 ·
The tranny wont bolt up to the the windsor. I'm 99% sure the cams aren't interchangeable besides you can't reuse cams anyways (unless its a hydraulic roller). 302 heads will fit but will need the head bolt holes drilled out because the 351W uses larger 1/2" bolts. Using smaller chamber 302 heads will not necessarily make more power, especially if they have smaller valves. And by making a stocker do you mean stroker? If so you would need an aftermarket crankshaft that increases the stroke, bolting on a different set of heads will not.

#3 ·
What Ron said is correct. The M uses a 400/429/460 pattern on the trans and the cams won't come close to fitting. I wouldn't be opposed to the 302 heads on the engine...if they are earlier ones and you aren't planning on winding it too high, should increase bottom end noticeably. It should be noted that later 302 and 351W heads are either the same or virtually identical.
Although it won't fit, reusing a cam is not a no-no from my experience. there are 2 ways to do it. One is with all new lifters and the other is to keep the lifters matched to the lobe.I have done both, but most cases use new lifters since it is rare to see flat tappet lifters not have excess wear after mileage is accumulated. They would still work if matched to the lobes, but when they have any noticeable wear..you'll have to replace them anyway, before long, and you may waste the cam while they finish their life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.