Hot Rod Forum banner

351W Timing marks & 408 clearance question

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  techinspector1 
#1 ·
Hey Ford guys, I'm a chevy guy helping my Brother-n-law build a 408w. We are using a Cloyes True roller timing set and there is no defined timing mark (dimple) on the crank gear. There is the 3 key way locations for cam timing and I'm putting the cam in at zero. I’m assuming that the key way “O” is the crank gear timing mark that should be at 12’ 0 clock and the cam gear dimple is at 6’O clock.

We are building a 408w (eagle crank, eagle h rods, probe pistons) with AFR 185 heads. Are there any rotating assembly clearance issues that need to be checked (rod to cam, etc)?

#4 · (Edited)
Bring it up on #1 the crank key should be straight up.The cam gear should have a dot on it. when you get the crank key way straight up and the dot on the cam gear straight down lined up with the key way put the chain and gears on it should be in time. You can adjust it out with the distributer after it fires up. Just remember the top gear the dot goes down lines up with the crank keyway as far as the three locations thats for advance and retard i always put mine in the middle dependes on what your buddy is doing with his ride race/street . Hope this helps. Cole

#5 ·
eric866121 said:
Hey Ford guys, I'm a chevy guy helping my Brother-n-law build a 408w. We are using a Cloyes True roller timing set and there is no defined timing mark (dimple) on the crank gear. There is the 3 key way locations for cam timing and I'm putting the cam in at zero. I’m assuming that the key way “O” is the crank gear timing mark that should be at 12’ 0 clock and the cam gear dimple is at 6’O clock.

We are building a 408w (eagle crank, eagle h rods, probe pistons) with AFR 185 heads. Are there any rotating assembly clearance issues that need to be checked (rod to cam, etc)?
All the clearances will need to be checked out. Never assume the rotating assembly is good to go out of the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.