351w valve train - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

351w valve train

hi guys, 351w problems i need help with.....the rocker wants to turn, forcing the push rod against the pushrod guide, wearing the pushrod in 1 miniute,,,then it bends,,,,
this is a fresh motor that i just built, the cam is a comp cam 06318
grind is xe268h,,,,its suppost to be prity lumpy, stock pushrods and rockers,,,any ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewd8 View Post
hi guys, 351w problems i need help with.....the rocker wants to turn, forcing the push rod against the pushrod guide, wearing the pushrod in 1 miniute,,,then it bends,,,,
this is a fresh motor that i just built, the cam is a comp cam 06318
grind is xe268h,,,,its suppost to be prity lumpy, stock pushrods and rockers,,,any ideas
Stock pushrods? Stock valve springs? Order the Comp pushrod to check for proper length,you have a couple of ways to go you can order the correct length pushrods or get the shim kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-99170-1 for your rockers or get a good set of heads with screw in studs so you can run adjustable rockers.

Last edited by JeffB; 02-21-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

as far as i know they are stock, but how do i tell if there stock or not,,the heads have been modified with the screw in studs and are adjustable...with hyd lifters
this motor is in a small boat, and the guy that owned it before me put a lot of money into it,,,like 7000.00 ...i don't know what is stock and what is performance...the pushrod giudes are comp cam 4816,,so there not stock,,,wich leads my to thinking the springs and pushrods are not stock....but i don't know,,how can i tell???
Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 AM

Rockers twisting and rubbing guideplates usually indicates a stud that's either bent or intalled at the "wrong" angle. If your valves have at least 1/4" above the locks, you can discard the guideplates and use "rail" rockers (later model Fords and Chevys have rocker s with "rails" to keep them centered on the valve). It's important to understand, only ONE method of "alignment" can be used. If more than one, it WILL "bind".

It's also possible, when the heads were machined for screw-in studs, the "slots" used to guide the pushrods weren't "opened". They should now be about a 1/2" diameter hole, NOT a slot. That too, WILL cause "bind".

Lastly, be certain the pushrods are "hardened" for use with guideplates. It will SAY SO on the package or in the product description. Generally, if not noted, they're NOT hardened.

FWIW

Jim
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM

If your 351W has self aligning rail type rocker arms, you must use valves with .395" tips.
If your 351W does not have self aligning rail type rocker arms, you must use valves with .250" tips.

Make sure the valves are the correct type for the rocker arms you are using. Using valves that have .250" tips with self aligning rail type rocker arms will cause the rocker to run off the valve tips.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body View Post
Rockers twisting and rubbing guideplates usually indicates a stud that's either bent or intalled at the "wrong" angle. If your valves have at least 1/4" above the locks, you can discard the guideplates and use "rail" rockers (later model Fords and Chevys have rocker s with "rails" to keep them centered on the valve). It's important to understand, only ONE method of "alignment" can be used. If more than one, it WILL "bind".

It's also possible, when the heads were machined for screw-in studs, the "slots" used to guide the pushrods weren't "opened". They should now be about a 1/2" diameter hole, NOT a slot. That too, WILL cause "bind".

Lastly, be certain the pushrods are "hardened" for use with guideplates. It will SAY SO on the package or in the product description. Generally, if not noted, they're NOT hardened.

FWIW

Jim

so, just to get this straight,,the comp cam rod guides, slots have to be widened, or machined bigger,....there is no rail or tube that runs the length of the head...i will buy new rods, just so i know there hardened
these rods i'm using were the ones out of this motor,,,used,,,will they have marks indicating hardness
Old 02-21-2013, 02:53 PM

Stew,

No, usually not "marked". If there's a part number on them, we can certainly "find" which they are.

Machined into the castings, below the rockers, where the pushrods come through the head, there's a "slot" machined from the factory (if early heads). If that slot hasn't been "drilled" to a 1/2" hole, the pushrod WILL bind in the guideplate. If these heads were original with "bolt down" rockers, something is "out of whack".

MouseFink, I've seen the roller-tipped versions of the "rail" rockers used with success on the shorter tips. They "clear" the retainer. If "stock" rockers, I agree.

Jim
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

At this point try to post some pictures of your heads so we can better evaluate what is going on.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

351 winser

It is my understanding 351 w never used heads with slots to guyd push rods.they used rail rockers ,then went to capscrew holding a fulcrom. If heads converted to screw in studes and guides the head must be machined wher the screw in studs go by the width of guid plate. cliff
Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM

Stock 351W engines came with self-aligning rockers or with non-self aligning rockers. The long tip valves were only used with the self-aligning rockers for additional clearance of the keepers, not the retainers. The outer edge of the retainers are low enough to clear the self-aligning rocker arms, but the rails (nubs) on the self-aligning rocker arms will hit the keepers if the short tip valves are used.

Stock 351C engines only have non-self-aligning rockers with short tip valves.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

ok heres some pics,,,,hay thanks for all your knowlege...i have ordered a hardened pushrod and a new comp cam rod guide..$15.00...its a 14 foot sidewinder jet boat, that will be running 5500rpm all day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00029-20130221-0712.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	71593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00030-20130221-0713.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	71594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00031-20130221-0714.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	71595   Click image for larger version

Name:	FEB 12 2013 467.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	613.2 KB
ID:	71596  

Last edited by stewd8; 02-21-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 PM

the stock 351w heads are not slotted in the pushrod valley. so if its a large cam it will cause the pushrod to go against heads and bend the pushrods, second check for coil bind need about 80 to 100 thousandths for clearance.
third make sure your valves are set with pumped up lifters, especially on hyd. lifters, if set non pumped up can be set to tight and when lifters do pump up it will be to much and put you in to coil bind.

my question? are they a Rhodes style lifter, a anti-pump up.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prumora1 View Post
the stock 351w heads are not slotted in the pushrod valley. so if its a large cam it will cause the pushrod to go against heads and bend the pushrods, second check for coil bind need about 80 to 100 thousandths for clearance.
third make sure your valves are set with pumped up lifters, especially on hyd. lifters, if set non pumped up can be set to tight and when lifters do pump up it will be to much and put you in to coil bind.

my question? are they a Rhodes style lifter, a anti-pump up.
?????coil bind????
don't know what type lifters, but when they were out for over 2 months, i wanted to pump them up , i put them in some oil and put a pushrod in it and i could not get it to pump,,it would not move up and down,,,but they are not solid lifters,,,,as there is a oil hole in the side
it ran great, 50psi oil,,,oil coming out of the rocker, back of till click, tighten 1/2 turn, did the other side, and heard it snap from one of the first ones i did
Old 02-22-2013, 12:58 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

You must run long slot rockers on the 351 with that cam Or the rockers contact the stud and break or bend the push rods! I am a little curious as to how they stay aligned. If my memory serves me - the stock rockers have lips on either side of the valve stem contact area that keep them from jumping off to the side ( I cant remember)? I can't see in the pic if yours do! And your pics are blurry And ford solid forse oiling lifters do have a hole in the side!!!!!! You cant tell looking at a lifter if its solid or not!!!!!!!! There should be a hole in a solid lifter side just like a Hyd. and out the top through the push rod and the push rod end of the rocker to get forced oil to the rocker, ball, stud, and valve tip and to flood springs for cooling of springs and lubrication some lifters have holes in the bottom to force lube cam lobes!!

Jester
Best way to set Ford HYD. lifters!!!!! Compressed method do not pump them up! See pic posted!
Collapsed Hydr. Tappet Gap
8-CYLINDER Ford ENGINES lifters that are not pressurized yet will have slack and that is expected there is a spec for the actual end of the rocker to the tip of the valve when the lifter is bottomed out...

8-302 (5.0L) and 8-351 (5.8L) Allowable: 0.089-0.193 in. (2.260-4.902mm) Desired: 0.096-0.163 in. (2.438-4.140mm)

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...1&d=1361562899
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0900c15280250cba.gif
Views:	70
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	71615  

Last edited by painted jester; 02-22-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

LONG SLOT ROCKERS..... is that what i ask for at the parts store???? even if i have the short tip valves

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.