Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 355 build check up
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 04:44 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

355 build check up

Alrighty so I got my block. Its been checked and is looking good other than high mileage wear. Once I get the parts I'll be able to get it bored and balanced.

I have a 1980 z28 with the 190hp 350 LM-1. 3.42 slip diff. It is bone stock.

Uses will be late night taco bell runs, The rare relaxing cruise and as much track time as I can afford.

Heres what I'm going with and want to know if it will work well together. or missing anything.

Not entirely sure as this was given to me but I believe this is it.
holley 650 cfm double pumper with mechanical secondaries(any way to switch to vacuum? or should I not worry about that)
Holley Performance Products 650 CFM Four Barrel Street/Strip Carburetor*0-4777S

Edelbrock performer air-gap
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifolds 7501 - SummitRacing.com

Bare brodix ik 200's. 64cc chamber
Brodix Cylinder Heads IK 200 Cylinder Heads for Small Block Chevy 1020000-1 - SummitRacing.com
Head improvement kit. up to .625 valve lift
Head Improvement Kit, Chev SB, 2.02-1.60", Mech FT/Hyd Rlr-Competition Products

Howards 1.6 full rollers 7/16 studs.
Howards Cams Billet Aluminum Rocker Arms 90073 - SummitRacing.com

Eagle 6" I beams
Eagle SIR I-Beam Connecting Rods 6000BPLW - SummitRacing.com

Probe -3.5 forged pistons w/ 1.26 compression height
Probe SRS Forged Pistons 13720-030 - SummitRacing.com

Entering the I'm really really unsure area.

Fel pro .015 compressed gasket for a .04 quench. I've been told to use this. The gasket is .07" larger than the bore though, will this affect the quench effect or any of the combustion process? Would a .04 gasket and get the heads decked to get proper quench be better?
Fel-Pro Performance Head Gaskets Q1094 - SummitRacing.com

Howards .927 wrist pins. Do i need these or will the pistons come with them? Alternatively I can't figure out where to find press fit piston wrist pins. Very confused here.
Howards, Tool Steel Wrist Pins, .927" x 2.500", .120" Wall-Competition Products

The crank I'm looking at. Alternatively should I keep my stock crank?
Eagle Cast Steel Crankshafts 1035034857AU - SummitRacing.com

I have spent a whole lot of time reading and getting a few people to critque my parts and most of them have ok knowledge as far as engines go but not so much on the performance side. I want to make sure I'm on the right track and everything will work well together. Going to eventually start shopping around everywhere but for now using summit as the main link.

This is basically pushing the budget with some left for machine work for the heads and block more gaskets, headers, oil pump and other stuff for the engine.

Trans and chassis will be researched and upgraded as soon as I've figured out the engine build. Also if anyone can give me an approximate HP/TQ figure I'd like this and any recommendations on headers, oil pump, distributors etc.