Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 355 build check up
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
Do not buy a dome piston. Get a flat top piston.
Here is a better build.
get the block bored as required.
Buy the Summit house brand labeled complete 350 SBC engine rebuild kit with flat top pistons inc.
Get your stock GM crank reground 10-10 and get your stock GM connecting rods resized.
from the parts It would seem I'm going to potentially getting up to 6500 rpms. Most computer simulations say I'll reach peak hp around 6000 rpm and peak TQ around 3500-4000. Will this Idea be ok? Do I not need to buy a new crank and rods? I kind of like the idea of the 6" rods for fun. Also the ones I'm looking at are forged. Also forged pistons at this point are somewhat of a I would really prefer to have and do not mind spending the extra coin for it.

Quote:
Get the block decked as required to achieve a assembled 0deck height with the flat top pistons in the kit.
Buy a complete Comp cams mech street roller cam and kit
K-12-772-8 Xr286R-10 (add a roler cam thrust button to complete)
I was wondering if I should go mechanical or hydraulic. I like the idea of Mechanical as it seems to add more interactivity and valve trian control on my end. Will I need retro fit at all? Also Is howards ok? Couple buddies have had problems with Comp and I'm kind of worried about trying them. They use howards now.

Quote:
Buy the brodix Ik200 64cc heads bare and add Manley 2.02x 1.60 7/16" screw in studs+guide plates and comp pushrods.
Summit-Scorpion 1.6:1 aluminum roller rockers (7/16"stud)
650 DP Carb upgrade with a Holley/proform 750HP carb body kit.
The Performer RPM manifold is fine.
1-5/8" or 1-3/4" headers and 2.5" dual exhaust (use collector extensions at the track.)
Seems good here. Is scorpion a good brand? I have never heard of them or seen them put into many other builds. Would the crane 1.6x energizers be acceptable?

Quote:
Trans converter and gears. Get a 9" 10" 3500++stall converter and 4.56:1 gears. 9x28" street strip ET streets.
Get some traction bars and a drive shaft hoop.
Buy 4.56:1 gears and buy a NEW Auburn gear posi or a NEW Eaton posi. Do not re-use the stock GM posi.
The Stock GM axles are fine.
8.5" x 28" ET streets
because the block is 0 decked use a .041" felpro composite head gasket.
Thank you for all of this. Also Yea looking at posi's. Do i need to buy the whole hub at the rear (not sure what its called as I have yet to really read about this area) or just the posi? Also yea the diff gear is a slip not limited slip so going to definitely upgrade that. I have a 4.1 barely used.
.041? why not .04? Also now this is something I can't find much on but what would be the disadvantages of a tighter quench? If I wanted to run a tighter quench (if its advantageous of course and i wouldn't exceed below .037 or so) What would I have to do to ensure stability?

Quote:
your dome piston choice would have resulted in excessive compression ratio.
The money you save using the Summit engine rebuild kit and your crank and resized GM rods
will more than pay for the roller cam kit.
You will go faster-longer.
As Vinnie stated:
80's camaros are heavy. you will need the 4.56 gears (28" tall tires)
This matched street strip combo will go fast at the track and run very nice on the street.
Anything you do to reduce vehicle weight is a bonus.
This is the cam I'm looking at Howards Cams Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshaft and Lifter Kits CL111815-10 - SummitRacing.com. It will help increase DCR and I'm triyng to read about fuel as much as possible. I've read a good DCR is 8-8.5 for pump gas. Is this only due to spark knock or would this be similar to an air fuel ratio where 14:1 or so is just about perfect and will be the most efficient . So in other words is 8-8.5 just the most efficient range for a DCR? Would the higher octane slower burning gas be better with the higher DCR?

Thank you for all the additional information I really really appreciate that. Essentially I'm trying to build the most efficient engine possible. I'm also trying to read about all the tips and trick so keep em coming . Information is my currency. So any articles or however much you want to type is appreciated.

Also I would like to add I'm skittish about buying brands my friends or people at the car shows don't mention much. I want to do this once for the time being. I only have the next 6 months+ what I have saved to perfect this thing. So I can also only afford to do this once.